Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

for those with backache

(7 Posts)
6inchnipples Fri 10-Jul-09 12:38:00

I get occasional episodes of accute backpain.

Comes on for no apparent reason. Lower back with tight hot feeling and jaggy shooting pains when move certain way.

I have three under 5 and lifting them etc, getting them in and out car etc doesn't help.

I horse ride for an hour on a weekend and its very much loved 'me' time.

Do you think i should still go or cancel this week??

Can it be much worse than looking after the kids in terms of aggravating my back?

Would take pain killers before going and it should be ok just worried about making it worse really.

WHats your thoughts on this please??

chevre Fri 10-Jul-09 12:42:15

depends on what is causing the back. get refered to a physio. i have lower back pain, i do pilates and run to strenghten my 'core'

horse riding should be good for the old 'core' too but no if you have slipped disc or something skeletal going on.

6inchnipples Fri 10-Jul-09 12:50:51

thanks chev i have seen gp before who said 'who doesn't have lower backache'

seen physio and she gave me tummy strengthening exercises to do, thought i was 'very' flexible for someone with back pain' but then my back wasn't sore at that time.

i do feel regular exercise helps keep it at bay, just wasn't sure about exercising during episode. Was told by chiropractor i saw once to rest a bad back but other sources say 'don't take a bad back lying down' So i'm unsure whats for the best!

chevre Fri 10-Jul-09 12:53:25

pilates is really good.

carrying kids is a real killer for a back.

melmog Fri 10-Jul-09 12:59:23

Carry on riding. It's very good for posture and core strength. (Like I know, I just wish I could go once a week too!)

It's the lifting of kids into and out of cots and car seats that causes all the problems. Maybe when they're past this stage things will settle down anyway.

6inchnipples Fri 10-Jul-09 13:01:44

pilates sounds good but is it not really hard??

I do some yoga myself at home with dp which helps but the horse riding i'm passionate about and i also feel its exercise without it just being exercising for the sake of exercising iykwim

THink i'll just go and hope for best.

melmog Fri 10-Jul-09 13:04:48

Meant to say, I went to a sports massage bloke not so long ago as although I've had a bad back all my adult life, it was developing into acute episodes brought on by lifting dd2 into and out of travel cot.

I only had two sessions as I found it excruciating!! I'm not a wimp at all normally. He thought that as I'd had untreated problems for so long it would take months or possibly years to get to the bottom of.

I had the same response from my gp as you.

That doesn't help you at all!! Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now