Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

my friend had been diagnosed underactive thyroid after having her first child 9 months ago

(7 Posts)
Biglips Thu 09-Jul-09 23:33:37

she is on tablets - thyroxine (sp?) BUT she had lost lot of weight (its what she had told me and yes she is very thin atm and thats the thinnest ive seen her in 23 yrs as she usually have a nice slim figure).

Docs is puzzled and i dont think its PND as she is still herself but she said that she was feeling so exhausted and her baby started to sleep thru when he was about 5-6 months old.

what cud it be?

i put it down being a first time mum

taczilla Thu 09-Jul-09 23:38:22

have a look on thyroiduk.org.uk it may be useful

Linnet Thu 09-Jul-09 23:43:59

My mum was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid after my brother was born. It's quite common to be diagnosed after childbirth, so I've been told.

My mum was on Thyroxine and she had to take every day for the rest of her life. My granny also has an underactive thyroid, originally started as an overactive thyroid which they treated to make it go underactive as it's easier to treat! So she also takes Thyroxine every day.

why do you say the Dr is puzzled? If they are giving her tyroxine they have obviously tested her for thyroid trouble, no?

Olihan Thu 09-Jul-09 23:58:28

Has she had a blood test recently to check her thyroid levels? If she is on too high a dose of thyroxine then her thyroid is likely to be overactive which will cause the weight loss and the excessive tiredness. Over active thyroid basically means all her bodily systems that are run by her metabolism will be in overdrive which is why she's so worn out. Ask her to take her pulse, it can often cause a racing heart as well.

Do you know when she last had a blood test and what her TSH and T3/4 levels were?

Overactive thyroid is potentially very, very serious. Have a look at the other thyroid thread in active convos at the moment. Kormachameleon had it and it's had a pretty big effect on her health.

I'd get your friend to go to the docs and get a full thyroid screening done ASAP.

Biglips Fri 10-Jul-09 21:48:30

olihan - all i know that she was given the tabs about a month ago after she had already lost all her weight. i dont know much further atm.

Linnet - the docs are puzzled cos she got under active thyroid which supposed to make her to put weight on and not losing it

am i right??

thanks taczilla as ive forwarded it onto her

Olihan Fri 10-Jul-09 21:59:29

That is really odd. I've found it almost impossible to lose weight since my thyroid was diagnosed. It's taken a lot of tweaking of my thyroxine dose to get my metabolism to the point where I can actually shift some of the extra pounds.

I think if I was her I'd be asking for the bloods to be repeated and for them to do a full screening of TSH and free T3/ T4 so they can double check her results.

Everything you've described about her is indicative of an over active thyroid, rather than an underactive. I think if the GP is puzzled he needs to refer her to an endocrinologist to get things properly checked.

neveronamonday Sat 18-Jul-09 20:17:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now