Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

can you use tampons when you've got thrush?

(7 Posts)
jaybird Wed 18-May-05 14:02:55

riduculous of me to get to this age and not know, but this is the first time i've had a bout of thrush (not the most pleasant thing in the world!). i've just taken a canesten tablet, but have also just come on - can i use tampons or not?
also, will my DH need to be treated? (we had sex the day before i got it - sorry a bit too much detail!) and if he does what do i get for him?
ta, in advance!

SaintGeorge Wed 18-May-05 14:06:46

Best to treat DH whenever you get an attack, he can have same treatment as you. (well, maybe not the pessaries )

Tampons not the best idea. I actually stopped using them years ago because they can be a big cause of thrush - something to do with causing too much of the natural vaginal flora to dry out - now that might be too much detail!

PrettyCandles Wed 18-May-05 14:10:26

It would be best to get him to apply canesten cream (or you could do it for him ). Can't do him any harm, and makes certain that you don't get re-infected.

I've found that using a Mooncup is by far the most comfortable sanpro during a bout of thrush. Of course then I sterilise it every day, rather than once a month as normal.

Also, using Lactacyd Replenishing Wash (I think that's what it's called) instead of soap really soothes.

WigWamBam Wed 18-May-05 14:12:00

Get dh a tube of Canesten 1% and get him to use it even if he's not showing any symptoms - he can pass thrush back to you without having any sign that he's got it.

Agree about not using tampons, too - they could make the thrush worse and will probably be uncomfortable anyway.

jaybird Wed 18-May-05 14:18:00

thanks guys, how long will it take for the tablet to work? i've got a big wedding coming up at the weekend and don't really want to be using sanitary towels with my nice, floaty wedding outfit!

Iklboo Wed 18-May-05 14:25:28

The Canestan Duo - tablet & cream - or the Diflucan Once works really fast. It's pretty dear (well, of course it is - women use it more than men, so it's BOUND to be ) but worth every penny for the relief it brings.

jaybird Wed 18-May-05 14:59:35

sorry to be graphic now, but i've just cracked and used a tampon. it's just too messy as well as having cream to think about! - do you think it will make matters worse?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: