Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any coeliacs on here?

(14 Posts)
rupertsabear Thu 09-Jul-09 19:30:53

Did you have acne amongst your symptoms that cleared up with diet by any chance? I have a range of coeliac symptoms and am waiting for test results next week, but am wondering whether my spots are part of it. They have definitely got worse along with the abdominal symptoms getting worse.

rupertsabear Thu 09-Jul-09 19:55:32

bump?

CMOTdibbler Thu 09-Jul-09 20:47:19

I didn't have acne, but with the whole auto immune thing, nothing would suprise me now.

I had a yukky rash, and joint pain as my main symptoms

nightcat Thu 09-Jul-09 21:20:12

I have been in correspondence with Dr Loren Cordain about gluten and also about his book (The Paleo diet). At the time he was in London for a lecture on acne. In the link above you can find references to acne improvement on paleo diet, which excludes gluten as well as some other carbs.

So, yes, gluten/carbs can have a detrimental effect on skin (my ds skin has also improved on gf diet even tho it wasn't just acne we were dealing with).

..and of course you don't need the book to cghange your diet :-)

bramblebooks Thu 09-Jul-09 21:54:10

My DH is coeliac and definitely notices a change for the worse in hs skin when he eats deglutinised wheat. Like the others say, autoimmune stuff, so anything could be triggering it.

IlanaK Thu 09-Jul-09 21:59:54

Nightcat - do you follow the Paleo Diet? I am having a blood test on Monday for caelics to see if it's that or just IBS. I know a diet change is on the cards for me either way. I was so suprised to see you mention that book as i have it on my shelf and followed it years ago when trying to lose weight after following Atkins. It never occured to me to use it to "cure" IBS.

rupertsabear Fri 10-Jul-09 06:36:19

Thanks for responses. My main symptoms are on/off abdominal pain and gas with diarrhoea, numb fingers and toes, chronic fatigue and headaches. And acne on the side. I think whatever the coeliac tests show I'm going to try gf diet for 2 months to see whether it helps. Actually, I'd do anything as am going spare! I nearly ended up having my appendix out a couple of months ago as the docs scratched their heads over what the problem was.

I'll look up the paleo diet too.

bramblebooks Fri 10-Jul-09 10:20:32

Gosh, that sounds like dh's symptoms before diagnosis. He was also incredibly anaemic so take an iron supplement too - it's another symptom. Make sure they're through with the gf tests before you cut it out of your diet though.

nightcat Fri 10-Jul-09 11:00:18

Hi Ilana
I have read the book and been talking to the author after reading one of his scientific publications where he mentioned grains and neurology. We haven't completely ditched grains, but minimised their use excluding all gluten and limited corn to a large extent.
Then I found out about his acne research when he was in UK.
My ds neurological problems pronounced progressive and incurable by medical profession have miraculously reversed and it took me many months to stop touching his skin to check that it was as soft as it looked.
There is a lot of great science behind it and although going totally paleo is bound to be tough at first, replacing carbs with good nutrition is my ultimate goal.

nightcat Fri 10-Jul-09 11:12:30

from the same website

www.dietaryacnecure.com/

IlanaK Fri 10-Jul-09 16:46:10

Well, I pulled out my old Paleo diet book and reread it today. I thinkI am definately going to give it a go whether or not the blood test is positive as I am at my witts end with my symptoms.

rupertsabear Fri 10-Jul-09 18:23:17

Nightcat, do you know what the foods to exclude are for the acne cure diet? I don't really want to read all about the science behind it, at what it does to my skin cells etc, I'd just like a list of what to eat and not eat!

nightcat Fri 10-Jul-09 21:54:42

here is a comprehensive list, but even just removing processed carbs and sugar and replacing them with fresh veg & fruit should make a difference

acne diet

rupertsabear Mon 13-Jul-09 10:36:59

My blood tests came back negative, but I've been gluten free for 3 days and my skin already seems to be clearing up. I'm going to stick with the diet for a month or so and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now