Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

need a previously posted alcohol related link....?

(12 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Thu 09-Jul-09 08:48:20

Someone posted a link to a website where you totally abstained for 1 month, but during that month you explored your reasons for drinking, relationship with alcohol etc, rather than just did the 'grit your teeth and hold out for a month' type thing. Anyone remember it or am I just making it up?

dandycandyjellybean Thu 09-Jul-09 09:12:31

can anyone help?

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 09-Jul-09 09:14:21

Sorry, I can't help you/can't remember the thread, but I will say - from my own ongoing experience! - that if you do give up for a month you can't help but contemplate your relationship with alcohol.

There's also a thread going at the moment about alcohol/trying to cut down/give up, which could provide you with some support, if that would help?

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 09-Jul-09 09:15:20

[[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/769593-how-do-you-know-when-you-are-drinking-too-much here ]

dandycandyjellybean Thu 09-Jul-09 09:35:50

thanks for posting biwi, and I know what you mean. it's just that my dh gave up smoking cannabis after 20 years of very heavy usage (about 6 months ago) and it is very hard on our relationship (bit like being married to a different person!!! freaky actually). And I would like to deal with my own reliance on alcohol, in a more structured way that just on my own iyswim. I have searched the archives and googled to no avail, and am beginning to think I made it up!!!

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 09-Jul-09 10:26:33

I understand what you mean - just be sure you're not using it as an excuse not to give up!

dandycandyjellybean Thu 09-Jul-09 11:16:58

which bit might be the excuse, the structured way to address my situation, or the fact that I can't find the site i want? grin

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 09-Jul-09 17:26:54

grin

Putting off the drinking until you can find the site/a way to structure it ...

dandycandyjellybean Thu 09-Jul-09 17:41:21

No, it is something that I've known I need to address for a while, and have done the 'month's abstenence' thing, as well as while pg. It's more that it's a habit that always manages to creep up on me again, and I would like an opportunity to examine that.

I'm not kidding myself, it's more something that has come into sharper focus since my dh has made some monumental changes. I'm not even looking to be in a hurry to do anything; believe me things are hard enough in our house right now without me necessarily taking on a big change. My dh is disabled and part of his using was for pain relieving reasons. So on top of the massive change of being totally straight for the first time in 15 odd years (with all the accompanying emotional 'growing up' to deal with) he's had to face being maxed out on all three kinds of pain meds he has, and still be in a lot of pain at times. I am therefore the one that is holding things together at the moment.

So, whilst I know I need to deal with my problem too, I am in no hurry to add my 'crap' into this mix. But I would like to find the website, so that when I feel that our family is in a place where I can take some emotional time for myself, I will have something there to 'help' me, and not just fell that I have to deal with it by myself.

Does that make sense?

Plonketyplonk Thu 09-Jul-09 19:12:03

Here's that link again. You are most certainly not alone, and people come with baggagesmile. If you look up Drinkulator on google, you'll find quite a lot of info. The Liver Trust is a good source of information too.

I've had a pretty crap time recently and am (hopefully) coming out the other side. I've found it helpful to be able to post here too.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 09-Jul-09 19:36:14

It does, indeed make sense - and I wasn't trying to make light of your situation!

I think, too, that it will be critical to make sure that you are being kind to yourself in the whole process.

dandycandyjellybean Thu 09-Jul-09 21:15:52

thanks plonketyplonk, but it wasn't the thread I wanted, but a link that I've seen somewhere on one of these 'drink' threads, re: info in op. But thanks for posting, and I'm so glad you feel that you are coming out the otherside of this thing. Well done.

biwi, knew you weren't making light, i spose i just felt that a bit of background might make it all make a bit more sense.

On my third glass of gin and pimms but it is my last for tonight which is actually very good for me, so hey ho!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now