Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just want someone to talk to

(39 Posts)
Sugarmagnolia Wed 08-Jul-09 19:15:09

Ok, I know I haven't posted on here for about a hundred years (ok, maybe a year or so?) but I just need somewhere/someone to talk to because I'm kind of freaking myself out.

I made a GP appointment for next week because I've had this pain in my leg for about two months now and it's not going away. It's kind of in the hip/groin area when I do anything that involves turning the hip or knee out to the side (like sitting cross legged). I was puzzled but not too concerned. Except a few days ago I also felt a small lump in the same area - at the very top of my thigh, right near the pelvic bone. I told my husband but he typically he refuses to worry about it or even discuss it until I've seen the doctor. I can't really say I blame him except of course I'm worrying about it anyway. I don't want to talk to any friends or family and worry them needlessly so instead I'm doing stupid things like googling my symptoms and coming up with scary things like lymphoma. I also feel totally exhausted most of the time lately and don't know if I'm just imagining it or if there's really something wrong with me. sad

So if anyone could talk to me/reassure me/tell me not to freak out that would be really, really great!!!

HolyGuacamole Wed 08-Jul-09 20:53:37

Bump

Sugarmagnolia Wed 08-Jul-09 22:13:29

Thanks for bumping - isn't there anyone out there going to tell me i'm being silly?

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 07:41:07

“Enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly may result from malignancy or tumor.”

“Firm but rubbery nodes could be lymphoma”

must stop googling.....

loopylou6 Thu 09-Jul-09 08:29:09

“Enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly may result from malignancy or tumor.”

painlessly you said yours hurts so thats a good sign straight away coz naughty things dont tend to hurt.

You have lots of lymph nodes in your groin area, and they can become inflamed really easily, even from an insect bite.

Also it might be a type of hernia?

I have really bad health anxiety (to the tune of 40mg citalopram a day hmm) so i know how horrible you must be feeling, i am sure when you see the doc s/he will tell you not to worry. smile

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 09:16:58

Thanks for replying loopylou - I have a sharp pain in that area when I move my leg in a certain way but the lump itself doesn't hurt at all, even when prodded.

Am trying very hard not to think about it but not too successfully. Wish I had made the appointment sooner but can't really change it now so will somehow just have to get through til monday!

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 14:33:39

bump

Iklboo Thu 09-Jul-09 14:37:02

It could be something like a hernia that's getting pinched or twisted when you cross your legs - and would also causea small lump

sunburntats Thu 09-Jul-09 14:39:36

you are as bad as me! I googled "rash" and had myself dead buried and my orphaned children and widowed husband looking for a new wife with better boobs than me within a week of my untimely and sad death.
i had a funeral planned and everything.
turned out to be thrush, dramatics over for that day.

loopy is right you know. Just step away from the google button, get to your GP and get it sorted...PROPERLY! smile

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 14:39:52

don't think that's it but thanks for replying.

Just wish it was Monday already!!

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 14:43:33

ooh, crossed posts sunburn!

I KNOW googling is very, very bad. Have been imagining all sorts. Would probably help if i could talk to someone but don't want to worry anyone else. My MIL would just fall to pieces at the very idea. My dad would be ok but then he'd tell my mom and she wouldn't tell me she was worried but she'd probably not sleep all weekend and drive my dad bananas. Like I said before, DH at the other end of the spectrum, not worrying but just telling me there's no point in worrying either. going round in circles.

Hope you got your thrush treated! wink

VinegarTits Thu 09-Jul-09 14:44:30

Stop googling right now!

You are being very silly by doing that, you are not a doctor and cannot diagnose your own condition by googling your sysptoms, lots of conditions have the same symptoms and yours is probably no where near a serious as you are thinking, you may have just strained your hip/leg, the lump could be a gland, you wont know until you see a doctor so stop obssessing!

put it right out of your head until Monday, go away and do something that will take your mind of it

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 14:46:38

Ok, no more googling. It is a strained muscle and swollen gland, nothing more. I will just repeat that to myself all weekend. It is a strained muscle and swollen gland, strained muscle, gland....

BTW - do i have to change my name to include some variation on boob (tits, tats...)???? grin

VinegarTits Thu 09-Jul-09 15:15:49

SugarBaps?

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 16:03:00

gringringrin

(i will not google, i will not google, i will not google)

AddictedtoCrunchies Thu 09-Jul-09 16:05:34

Or call up and get an earlier appt?

But do not google..

Sugarmagnolia Thu 09-Jul-09 16:20:43

I have my kids at home tomorrow so would be difficult to go to GP with both of them in tow. But it's going to feel like a very loooong weekend. (Am not googling but can't stop my brain from thinking bad things)

Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 07:02:25

found another lump sad

MoChan Fri 10-Jul-09 07:26:15

Can you not go today? I can't help thinking even with the difficulty of taking the children with you, it would make you feel better to do something proactive about this. Is there nobody to take the children for an hour for you?

I know exactly how you feel, I do this to myelf a lot, and there have been times when my symptoms have looked sinister.

Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 07:31:38

MIL around today I think but would have to explain to her why I wanted her to watch the kids and she is already pretty stressed & anxious these days. Could take kids with and make them sit in the waiting room while I went in probably but then they would tell her we went to the doctor. Don't know what to do....

CarmenSanDiego Fri 10-Jul-09 07:31:52

Please don't worry, Sugarmagnolia. It could well just be a gland. One of my dds gets horrendous lumps in her neck when she's fighting even minor infections. If you're run down, you could get swollen glands down there (and you sound a bit run down if you're tired).

Really try and get yourself to the doctor, just to put your mind at rest. If you can't right away, do something nice - go swimming or shopping or something so you don't brood. But don't panic. And don't google! Google ALWAYS comes up with the worst case scenario.

Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 07:36:54

just asked dh whether he thinks i should try adn get an apt today - waiting for a reply.

MoChan Fri 10-Jul-09 07:41:30

Second what Carmen said about the glands, by the way, I meant to add that. I am constantly finding lumps, only to be told it's a swollen gland...

Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 07:42:49

he thinks wait til monday. he's right because to get an emergency appointment today and drag the kids along WOULD cause everyone to panic.

Sugarmagnolia Fri 10-Jul-09 07:43:56

but usually when I'm not well the swollen glands appear in my neck and they are a bit tender. These are at top of my thigh and groin area - and they don't hurt at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now