Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My 11 year old son is having an operation to remove his adenoids and tonsils. Is this a good thing or not?

(22 Posts)
tigermoth Wed 18-May-05 07:30:35

He's had ear infections since he was a baby. In the past 12 months things have got worse. He has been on antibiotics for approx 4 out of the 12 months. He has had 4 bouts of tonsillitus as well. He was in pain when he took his 11+, performed in his school play and took his SATS. We have tried xytol gum but it didn't do the trick, unfortunatily.

Whenever he is stressed the infection comes back. This can't go on - he starts secondary school in September.

We saw the audiologist on Monday who was definite about him needing the op. Then ds will have yet more grommits fitted. I feel it is probably the right thing to do, but would like to hear from anyone who can advise me.

Many thanks!

flea Wed 18-May-05 08:36:52

from my point of view - I got my tonsils out when I was twelve (wish they had done the adeniods too but they didnt think they were so serious)It was the best thing for me : instead of 3 to 4 bouts of tonsillitus a year - loosing my voice and off school - it reduced to nearly nothing. I have a tendency to sore throats still but nothing like it was! And for me they stopped almost instantly - and I still remember the pain of my years of sore throats very clearly!

Satine Wed 18-May-05 08:39:19

My brother and I both had tonsils and adenoids out and have never had any problems since! I think it used to be a far more common operation than it is now. My brother also had grommets which transformed his life - he used to have regular awful ear infections which stopped completely.

charleepeters Wed 18-May-05 08:41:48

i had the same operation when i was about 11 aswell i have never had a problem with either since and the operstion was fine all i had was a sore throat afterwards best of luck to your ds xxx

Potty1 Wed 18-May-05 08:48:41

Tigermoth - two of my three had theirs out plus grommits, but they were around 3 at the time so can't help much with regards to older children - they are now 13 and 16. I would say though that if he hasn't 'grown out' of the infections by now (which is what happened with dd) then he's not likely to.

It certainly improved the health of my boys although I would say that the elder one tends to get chesty now as the bugs seem to find it easier to get further down. But he's less unwell with a chest infection than with tonsilitis IYSWIM.

HTH

tigermoth Wed 18-May-05 09:17:00

thanks for all this reassurance - and so quick! I am sure there's little chance of him growing out of the problem so the op is the only real option left AFAIK

How long will he take to feel better after the op. The doctor said 10 days, is this about right?

BadgerBadger Wed 18-May-05 11:09:55

I had mine out when I was five, I haven't had any problems since.

My sister didn't have hers out until she was sixteen, before she had them out she suffered years of relentless infections and increasingly strong antibiotics.

Our problem was tonsilitis, rather than ear infections though.

Bugsy2 Wed 18-May-05 12:01:43

Tigermoth, probably better for him to have them done now & recover quicker than when you are old like me!!!! My consultant said it would prevent my immune system from being constantly dragged down by the debilitating effects of tonsillitus - so I'm sure that goes for your ds too.
Big hugs to you as I'd much rather worry about me having it done than one of my children!

MrsMiggins Wed 18-May-05 12:46:08

I had my tonsils out when I was 26 and best thing ever - dr told me I would get tonsilitus til I was in my mid 40s and I used to have lots of bouts a year.
Operation not so bad when little - my friends 7yr old son had them out same time as me - he was up and about within days - I was poorly for just over 2 wks.

Gobbledigook Wed 18-May-05 12:52:15

It sounds like he needs it tbh. I had my tonsils and adenoids out at age 4 and I grommits when I was 8 - I've never had any problems and rarely get ENT type infections now.

angelp Wed 18-May-05 12:59:07

My brother is an ENT surgeon and so does these ops every day. He says it tansforms the lives of these kiddies and is a really easy and safe procedure

Evesmama Wed 18-May-05 13:02:29

i was 11 and was quite poorly afterwards as i caught infection straight away(am sure this isnt the norm)..but once had settled down, nothing half as bad as it used to be.

tigermoth Wed 18-May-05 13:05:26

oh, thanks again. It is the biggest operation ds has ever had so I do worry. These messages are just what I want to hear. Special thanks for the hug bugsey

Tinker Wed 18-May-05 13:06:53

Had them out as an adult tigermoth - believe recovery is a lot quicker when a child. Don't think you do grow out of it, tonsils just get huge and more prone to infection. Dr gave same reason to me, you can't just use anti biotics forever.

Evesmama Wed 18-May-05 13:07:42

when i had them out they told me to eat TOAST afterwards!!!!ehhh???
icecream and jelly best idea

tigermoth Wed 18-May-05 13:10:55

ouch - toast!
I will be so glad when ds is off these regular antibiotics.

Tinker you've planted a horrible picture in my mind of giant, infected tonsils!

Tinker Wed 18-May-05 13:14:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

batters Wed 18-May-05 13:22:23

tigermoth - it does sound like the best way forward for your son. No advice to give, but best of luck to him and you.

suedonim Wed 18-May-05 13:56:47

Ds1 had deafness and ear infections for six years before having his adenoids out. It was nothing less than a miracle, I don't think he's had an ear infection since!

Joley Wed 18-May-05 14:20:46

DS2 had his tonsils and adenoids removed last Dec at just over 2 yrs. He had been very poorly since 2 months on and off. Friends commented that they had never seen him without a cough/cold. The transformation is truly unbelievable.

The Doctor told us 10 days for recovery and it was. We spent one night in hospital following the operation.

I wasn't prepared for how much pain he seemed to be in following the operation. We were given Paracetamol and Ibruprofen to give for the first couple of days to ease the pain and you could really tell when this was wearing off (DS2 couldn't tell us how he felt though). I phoned the hospital to ask if he could continue to give the medicine and ended up giving it for 10 days. At that stage he made a miraculous recovery and has been brilliant ever since. Even when he caught a cold, he threw it off in no time.

It was horrible at the time but looking back it was the best thing they could have done for him.

I don't know if it's the same for an older child but his voice changed when he had them out and he sounded like peewee herman until things settled down!!

Hope everything goes ok, I'm sure you won't regret the decision.

BadgerBadger Thu 19-May-05 01:28:21

Actually, yes I remember the soreness following the op too. I remember at the time wanting ice cubes to suck (immediately following the op).

The pain wasn't so bad that is stopped me bellowing for my dad in recovery though! Not that I was upset (I was shouting rather than crying), just indignant that he'd said he'd be there when I woke up, but wasn't!

tigermoth Thu 19-May-05 06:54:31

thanks again - I wonder if ds's voice will change? It's a question I will ask the doctor. I will also make sure ds has lots of good painkillers. I am sure the hospital will organis this, but I'll have to check the strength and dosage. Although ds is just 11, he now needs an adult dose of painkiller (with the doctor's permission) as he weighs over 8 stone and child medicine is no longer very effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now