Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone up for a challenge? How to eat all of the recommended food and no more?

(5 Posts)
KingCanuteIAm Wed 08-Jul-09 15:53:15

I have been thinking about this for a while, we are all told "you need to eat 5 portions of fruit and veg" "you need 3 portions of whole grain" "not too many eggs" "as many eggs as you like"... it is mind blowing and I confess to being lost with it all, in fact, if you applied the thumbscrews I may even confess to having thrown up my hands in despair and given in altogether blush

Recently I have had a bit of a health wake up call, nothing drastic (or at least it doesn't look that way) but it has made me think I ought to start dealing with my diet - currently my diet is healthy in a very loose and lazy way, now I want to get it right!

I have started walking much more and now do several miles a day that I didn't a few months ago and I gave up smoking 3 weeks ago and am doing really well with it, it seems a shame to leave such a good start hanging, I am keen to complete the picture IYSWIM.

SO, the challenge, should you choose to accept it, can you design a day or week meal plan that incorporates all of the things that we should be eating? I can faff around with calories, saturated fats and so on but I just don't know how to get in all the things I am supposed to - in fact I am not even sure what it is I am supposed to be getting in anymore!

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or ideas smile

notnowbernard Wed 08-Jul-09 15:55:31

My loose and rough way wink is to have 3 meals a day

That generally comprise of a portion of fruit/veg, a portion of carbs, and a portion of protein

And to avoid sugary stuff and anything processed

And to have extra fruit and veg as snacks

sarah293 Wed 08-Jul-09 15:56:13

Message withdrawn

notnowbernard Wed 08-Jul-09 15:59:10

In my mind a 'normal' sized serving of each food group is 2 serving spoons

So, if you were having spag bol for dinner you'd have 2 serving spoons of spag, 2 of the bol sauce with 2 serving spoons of a side salad

KingCanuteIAm Wed 08-Jul-09 16:01:32

That is the kind of thing I am after Riven, I have googled but there is so much information from so many places that my head is spinning. I was hoping that some clever MNers would have a good handle on this already and boot my underinformed booty in the right direction grin

Bernard, that sounds very similar to my rough and ready approach grin
I am hoping for something with a bit more precision to it than I currently have, I know diet can be a huge help with so many things and I have recognised that I am being silly and lazy by ignoring it so I am looking for starting points!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now