Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone have any advice on a brain tumor

(6 Posts)
woodlands35 Wed 08-Jul-09 12:01:13

dh niece/godchild had tests done yesterday to find out if her brain tumor could be operated on , but it turns out the tumor cant be touched , doctors are going to try use radiotherapy to shrink it instead , we are all very upset as she is only 22 , does anybody have any experience of this & can she be cured , any advice would be great thanks

ProfYaffle Wed 08-Jul-09 12:07:35

Hi,

My dh has a brain tumour, v different to your niece though as his has been operated on, we're still waiting to hear (a year later!) if he has to have radiotherapy.

ime info is thin on the ground but have a look here. I've got another couple of links that are specifically about meningiomas (dh's tumour)on the off chance they're any use to you I'd be happy to post those too.

woodlands35 Wed 08-Jul-09 12:31:16

thank you profyaffle , i didn't realise there was so many different types of tumours, we don't know yet if hers is benign or not yet , we hope to find out more on Friday , the hospital is letting her home today even though she only had surgery yesterday shock (to take a closer look at the tumour , not to remove it)
your poor dh , a year is a very long time to be kept waiting, wish you both the best of luck

ProfYaffle Wed 08-Jul-09 12:58:30

Sometimes brain surgery is surprisingly easy to get over, especially the smaller exploratory ops. dh had one up his nose and was only in one night. They can do amazing stuff these days. smile

CMOTdibbler Wed 08-Jul-09 13:06:51

It really depends on what sort of tumour it is as to whether they can cure it or not.

Radiotherapy can be extremely effective, especially the higher tech types like IMRT, Rapid Arc, GammaKnife, and stereotactic radiosurgery - the last two are particularly for smaller tumours. So it's worth asking questions about how they will treat - not all RT centres do the same.

woodlands35 Wed 08-Jul-09 14:05:51

thanks to both of you , we don't know very much at the moment , she is at home resting at the moment , all we know is the tumour is 2 by 2 in size (don't know if that's regarded as small or big) & that it is in a difficult position & the hospital wont operate on it , she will have to attend another hospital that does the radiotherapy , she has to go back to the hospital on Friday to get the results of the biopsy .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now