Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Suddenly suffering from insomnia and poor appetite - not depressed - could it be a sign of something else?

(7 Posts)
BiscuitStuffer Wed 08-Jul-09 07:28:52

I've been finding it really hard to get to sleep for the past 3 months - since DS started sleeping through in fact! He was very busy at night and now I am! It can take me a couple of hours to fall asleep and then I sleep one stretch of 4.5-5.5 hours and then I'm awake. I'm shattered!

Also for the past week or so I have noticed that my appetite has dropped significantly and I'm losing a bit of weight.

I feel fine other than a low grade tiredness all the time except that i am more irritable than usual but could be lack of sleep? I have 2DCs under 2.5, so that could also be a factor in the tiredness.

I end up having a lunch time nap with them because I can't cope otherwise. Have tried to not have one to sleep more at night but that doesn't help. Have tried to go to bed earlier or later - no effect.

I'm 38. Should I be going to see the GP? I'm usually a 9 hours a night gal (if ever my kids would allow it!)!

BiscuitStuffer Wed 08-Jul-09 07:29:58

Oh and I do on the whole take postnatal vitamins.

I'm still breast feeding and he's taking about 3 feeds in 24 hours. He's almost 1.

bella21 Wed 08-Jul-09 09:19:02

Are you sure you're not depressed? <peers maningfully into computer>

Are you getting enough fresh air and physical exercise? Not always easy with little ones, I know.

bella21 Wed 08-Jul-09 09:19:20

meaningfully

BiscuitStuffer Wed 08-Jul-09 13:30:50

I am sure! grin

I'm also getting loads of fresh air etc - I am out and about walking with the kids for a total of 2-3 hours per day and sometimes 4.

surely that's enough exercise hmm.

bella21 Wed 08-Jul-09 14:11:02

Hmmm. Yes, probably grin

Maybe try going to bed later rather than tossing and turning? I sped read Paul Mckenna's sleep book in Borders once and he seemed to just recommend going to bed when you're tired and geeting up an hour earlier.

Sounds like you have lost your natural sleep rhythm due to dc's disrupting it.

BiscuitStuffer Wed 08-Jul-09 20:19:49

I did wonder about the sleep rhythmn disruption thing.

There is absolutely no way I could get up an hour earlier shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now