Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ingrowing toenails

(9 Posts)
wrinklytum Tue 07-Jul-09 22:09:35

Silly q but I have no idea despite being a hcp blush How do I get rid of this problem for ds,he is having a major crisis "Mummmmeeeee it huuuuuuurrrrrrrtsssss" wink about it all!TIA.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 07-Jul-09 22:11:48

chiropodist.

isittooearlyforgin Tue 07-Jul-09 22:18:57

have no notion either i'm afraid but have made appointment for ds- 2.5- with doctor for first appointment available (which is on his 18th birthday near enough!!)
the only thing i do know is that you are supposed to cut straight across them. not sure you can prevent as it seems to me its just the way ds's nails grow. if you learn any more please let me know!

Mammina Tue 07-Jul-09 22:40:17

eek not a big fan of feet, however my dad has suffered from these in the past and apparently you need to cut a V shape in the middle of the toe so that it grows away from the sides IYKWIM

lockets Tue 07-Jul-09 22:43:25

Message withdrawn

ItsAllaBitNoisy Tue 07-Jul-09 22:43:51

It really is verypainful. Eye-wateringly painful. He won't be able to bear even a sheet over his foot in bed. Calpol and GP or Chiropodist ASAP. Poor kid.

ItsAllaBitNoisy Tue 07-Jul-09 22:50:35

If he is in a lot of pain right now. I would suggest cutting a V in the centre of the nail now, and soaking it in warm water for as long as possible - the pain is the nail actually cutting into the flesh, so if the nail is softer it might not put as much pressure on the flesh until you can get him to GP/Ch. And the max dose of painkillers for his age obv.

I have cried with the pain of this, so my heart goes out to him. Good luck.

lockets Tue 07-Jul-09 22:52:23

Message withdrawn

charlotteolivia Tue 07-Jul-09 22:53:43

the v shape in the nail helps with the pressure of it digging in to the sides. this should help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now