Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'serious underlying health issues' in swine flu deaths

(14 Posts)
sphil Tue 07-Jul-09 10:55:35

Do you think that asthma would be described as a 'serious underlying health issue'? I'm not panicking about any of us getting swine flu except DS2, who was hospitalised twice with acute asthma last winter. Am wondering whether I should increase his steroids as a precaution - our asthma nurse is away atm so can't ask her.

edam Tue 07-Jul-09 11:02:25

Just spoke to my GP about that - dh's asthma is less severe than your son's but GP said no, don't worry, people who have died (very sadly) have had VERY serious health problems. Pregnant lady had had a stroke and immune system is depressed during pregnancy. Child with epilepsy had other conditions too (I was worried by that as I have epilepsy) etc. etc. etc.

GP said hopefully by the winter flu season there will be vaccinations available so presumably asthmatics will have two innoculations, one against seasonal, one against novel.

gingertoo Tue 07-Jul-09 11:13:04

I've just put a call in to my son's community nursing team about this very issue I'm waiting for them to call back. DS2 has had acute respiratory problems since birth (tracheostomy / restricted abduction of the vocal cords) and to be honest, I'm worried sick about this whole swine flu thing
Like your ds, sphil, he is regularly hospitalised, usually when a cold becomes a chest infection.

I'm just checking whether there is anything I can do? Are any vaccinations available now for vunerable children?

I'll let you know what they say when they call back.........

whomovedmychocolate Tue 07-Jul-09 11:16:18

There is a list on the govt website - I think it's cancer patients undergoing chemo/radiotherapy, kidney disease, COPD, HIV and severe heart disease/lung disease (from memory) can't find the link now.

The plan currently is to vax vulnerable individuals, the young and the elderly first (ie Sept/Oct).

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 07-Jul-09 11:16:21

sphil - I continue to be concerned wrt to dd and swine flu, and I'm not a huge worrier generally. She has complex congenital heart disease.

A couple of the childrens heart unit's have issues guidelines about it. I hope you can get some information that will set your mind at rest.

sphil Tue 07-Jul-09 11:38:34

Thanks everyone - it's a worrying time for all of us with vulnerable children.

DannyWotty1 Tue 07-Jul-09 11:54:51

Hi
Just wanted to say my DD (age 7) has just had a bout of swine flu - she also has asthma. She's made a full recovery and tbh the flu was no worse to any other virus/chest infection (she is prone to them so we are always on alert). Continued with her brown inhaler but her asthma did not get worse. Her GP just said to keep in touch and monitor her all the time, which we would do anyway for any virus/chest infection. Hope this is reassuring for those of you with asthmatic children - it can be worrying when infections/viruses are around.

Elibean Tue 07-Jul-09 14:00:24

Thats reassuring, Danny...I'm glad she's better, and am sure you are too smile

Just wondered about children with asthma who are not on preventer ongoingly...dd1 has one to use whenever she starts a cold/virus, to prevent it going to her chest. She does tend to mild asthma and chest infections otherwise.

Am wondering if I should call GP to see about changing to ongoing use in case of infection - same as dh (who has had quite bad asthma recently whenever he catches the slightest sniffle, worryingly). dh thinks not, just stick to usual protocol.

ANyone in this situation?

Really hope all our/your kids are ok...especially the most vulnerable ones.

gingertoo Tue 07-Jul-09 14:51:04

Yes, thanks Danny - that's reassuring. Glad that your dd is well again

My community nurse called back but was not terribly helpful - She said that I was the first person to mention swine flu to her so she hadn't really looked into it hmm

My G.P. was a bit more helpful. He reckons that the vaccinations for this strain will be available by late Aug / early sept and says that DS2 would need the vaccination as soon as it's available.....

I suppose there is really not much we can all do at the moment.....

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 07-Jul-09 14:55:58

dd isn't on her preventer at the moment as her trigger is purely viral nowadays. I haven't started it yet so as to give room to manouveur (iyswim) Not sure if thats the right thing to do or not. Similalarly dh is on his maintenance dose.

Ewe posted this link to nhs which lists the risk categories:

Those who are more at risk from becoming seriously ill with swine flu are:

* people with chronic lung disease,
* people with chronic heart disease,
* people with chronic kidney disease,
* people with chronic liver disease,
* people with chronic neurological disease,
* people with suppressed immune systems (whether caused by disease or treatment),
* people with diabetes,
* people who have had drug treatment for their asthma within the past three years,
* pregnant women,
* people aged 65 years and older, and
* young children under five years old.

Not posted to scare monger but because I think that people should be armed with the latest advice so they can seek timely treatment if necc.

magnolia74 Tue 07-Jul-09 16:12:17

Dd4 has athsma and today had a confirmed case of swine flue at her school (teaching assistant)
Spoke to gp and she has prescribed tamiflu for dd4 to start tonight just to be on the safe side as dd4's athsma is quite aggressive if she gets a cold/flu.

I'm more worried about my dad who has throat cancer, should we all stay away from him or is this silly panicking??

squeakywheel Tue 07-Jul-09 18:09:38

I'd like to know the answer to the question about the preventer inhaler too - infection seems (relatively) so likely for so many people, is it better to start it now or will you get diminishing returns so it's better to start it only when you think you're really getting something?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 07-Jul-09 18:10:42

magnolia, I'd stay away for a few days, just because you'd feel really worried if you did pass it on.

sphil Tue 07-Jul-09 22:02:59

Yes we have the same worry with my Mum, who has bowel cancer sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now