Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS (?) in very late pregnancy - what to do?

(5 Posts)
berolina Tue 17-May-05 16:34:24

I'm 38 weeks pg tomorrow and yesterday started with irregular 'contraction'-type pains, almost all on my left side, and had a bit of diarrhoea too. Of course I thought labour might be starting. 6am this morning , as I was still having the pains, I went down to the hospital and there were no contractions and no dilation . The only thing I could think of which it felt like was IBS - which I've had literally about twice over the last 5 years! - so I said this at the hospital and they reckon it is that (guesswork really because they didn't know what else it could be). Now I'm a bit confused though, as I've just done a quick search and so many of you have said your IBS cleared up in pregnancy, so why would mine start up again now? Also, although the squits have stopped, the pains aren't going away - they're irregular (go away for a bit and then I get several at once) and, in the scheme of things, pretty mild, but still making me miserable - I just stopped work last week and wanted to be resting up for the birth... Is there anything I can do? Also, my worst fear is lurking around my head - could it not be IBS at all, but in fact listeria??? I've got my 38-week check-up tomorrow, so will try and ask the right questions then. In the meantime, any advice/tips would be very much appreciated!

expatinscotland Tue 17-May-05 16:37:09

If you're not vomitting as well, chances are it's allright. Are you running a fever?

I'd ask if you can take some Immodium at your check up. That could help a lot.

berolina Tue 17-May-05 16:52:45

Thanks expat.
No, no fever, no vomiting - that's just it - everything pointing towards IBS (plus am so paranoid with food that I can't imagine where I'd have got a bug from) but WTF, at this stage in pg?
Shall ask about Imodium tomorrow (although isn't that for the runs, which seem to have stopped now?)

expatinscotland Tue 17-May-05 16:54:20

Immodium can help ease the cramps. That's the worst bit about IBS sometimes. Double check that it's safe to take, however, or if they have an alternative.

sassy Wed 18-May-05 08:07:56

My IBS was bad in late pg, and I mistook it for labour a couple of times too! Peppermint tea should help, if you can stomach it - supposed to ease muscle spasms in the bowel.
Bad luck, its the last thing you need now, isn't it?
On the bright side, my IBS is better than its ever been these days after 2 babies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now