Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HRT

(3 Posts)
deste Mon 06-Jul-09 21:08:36

Has anyone tried to come of it after being on it for a long time? I'm trying to wean myself off it by taking one tablet every two days. It was fine at first but now I am burning up. (Not sweating). Has anyone done it and how did you do it. I know I need to come off at some point but how?

Hormonesnomore Tue 07-Jul-09 20:13:02

I stopped taking it. Just like that, not gradually or anything. I didn't know I was supposed to do it gradually until I told my GP I'd come off it. To be honest, I felt exactly the same taking it or not taking it as it wasn't for menopausal symptoms, but because I was menopausal at only 38. I started taking HRT at 41, to help prevent osteoporosis, and stopped taking it at 50 when news stories highlighted the risks. Have you been on it for long? I think it's probably best to discuss the reasons for stopping it with your doctor & deciding the best way to do it. If you're still having unpleasant symptoms, maybe now isn't the best time.

deste Thu 09-Jul-09 18:57:20

Hi I have been taking it for 14 years. The doctors at my surgery are trying to get me to come off but the thing is I feel good on it. I have stuck to the one tablet every second day. The burning has stopped although I feel a bit yeugh at night but I can cope with that. There is a history of breast cancer in the immediate family but even that hasn't made me come off it. I will keep going and see how I feel in a couple of months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now