Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden heart murmur in an Adult.

(10 Posts)
Aimsmum Tue 17-May-05 14:59:16

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Tue 17-May-05 15:50:53

Message withdrawn

butterflymum Tue 17-May-05 16:05:22

Hello Aimsmum

No personal experience of someone your mum's age with a murmur, but depending on what the other tests turn up, you may find the following site helpful/informative:

Arrhythmia Awareness

In particular the 'What Are' section and the 'Heart Rhythm Disorders' section.

Hope this is of help.

butterfly

Sari Tue 17-May-05 16:13:12

I had a heart murmur found when I was about 27 and having tests for something called sarcoidosis. By the time I had ds2 at 32 it seemed to have gone away. Presumably if I had had it as a child it would have been found then so I can only assume it appeared when I was a teenager or adult. Obviously it wasn't very serious if it then got better.

I know that's not really much help but I wanted to let you know that they can appear later on, and apparently rectify themselves. Hope your mum finds out what is going soon and she starts feeling better.

Aimsmum Tue 17-May-05 16:19:50

Message withdrawn

Potty1 Tue 17-May-05 16:22:50

Aimsmum - murmurs found in 'older' women often relate to a mitral valve leak - the mitral valve is the one which is under most pressure, and it is quite common. It's often treated with medication but sometimes the valve has to be replaced. Have a look at the British Heart foundation website, there is loads of info on there. Try not to worry (durr, like that's going to stop you!) hope you get some more info soon.

Aimsmum Tue 17-May-05 18:42:48

Message withdrawn

Sari Tue 17-May-05 19:50:10

I do have sarcoidosis but fortunately it has never really given me any trouble other than when it first appeared. No-one really knows why you get it and it's much more common among certain ethnic groups, particularly Scandinavians I think. As far as I remember it can attack various organs, particularly the heart, lungs, eyes.

With me it was discovered because I had large painful red lumps (erythema nodosum)all over my legs and was exhausted and very run down. My doctor was useless about it for ages and so during a particularly bad weekend dh took me to A&E where they instantly thought it was sarcoidosis. I had an ECG there and then which was how they discovered the heart murmur and I was then seen regularly by the chest clinic for a couple of years. They did X-rays which found lumps in my lungs but fortunately those never got any larger or caused me breathlessness. I also had my eyes checked.

I never had to have any treatment but it is treated with steroids if necessary. It can be very debilitating for some people but hardly affect others so is not necessarily a problem. When I was diagnosed I imagined all sorts of worst case scenarios but it honestly has never been a big deal for me at all.

Hope that helps.

Aimsmum Tue 17-May-05 20:20:21

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 18-May-05 12:24:22

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now