Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone with experience of PND? Am feeling a bit freaked out

(8 Posts)
lovelyboysadmum Mon 06-Jul-09 13:40:29

I posted on in the Mental Health section but there doesn't seem to be anyone about today

I think I'm beginning to realise that most people don't feel like this (or do they? I'm not sure)

DS is 10 months old and I still find it all so hard. Although he's not a dreadful sleeper I haven't had a proper night's sleep since he was born. I find myself in tears quite a lot and feeling down - I'm always 'starting again' to pick myself back up if that makes sense. And it does usually work for a while. My problem is that I just don't know what the parameters are for feeling down, as a new first-time mum - is this how most people feel in the first year? I know other mums but those that I know really well cope fine and the ones that I don't know as well have much harder things to deal with and I wouldn't dream of starting to moan on to them.

I find it hard to sleep and DP and I have to sleep in different rooms. I cry most days - this has got worse recently. I've never had any problems bonding with DS though fortunately; I loved him to bits from the moment I saw him.

I've done the Edinburgh questionnaire and I seem to come out just above the limit, at 12-14ish. I never thought I had PND but the more I read about, now I'm not so sure.

It's all freaking me out a bit.

Does anyone else have experience of PND?

NotSoRampantRabbit Mon 06-Jul-09 13:52:44

Lots of posters here have experience of PND so well done for reaching out for support.

It's not really possible to say whether you have PND, nor does it really matter. You don't feel 'right' and need help and support.

By 10 months life with a baby is still a world away from your 'old' life and you are probably still adjusting. BUT not sleeping and feeling down most days is not how you want to feel so you need to get properly checked out by GP or HV, whoever you feel will be most proactive.

Are you working or planning to return to work?

Do you get to spend time doing things for you - exercise, nights out etc?

Don't freak out - if you are depressed you are certainly not alone and, once treated you will soon start to feel better.

I had awful PND with my first but a combination of medication, counselling and a return to work made me feel better. So much so thst I'm typing this with one hand while 3 week old dd sleeps on me.

It does get better but you must get help.

Hi Lovelyboysadmum - i didn't want this thread to go unanswered. I'm sorry you are going through a rough time. there are many many many many of us who have been through PND and have come out the other side!

First thing you need to do is go see your GP. He/she will give you some options in terms of treatment. Anti-depressants, councelling etc. You need to decide which would be best for you.

Remember that you aren't alone. We're all here for you

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 06-Jul-09 14:22:51

just wanted to add my support. PND is shit, but not such a disaster that it can't be sorted out. I would encourage you to seek help sooner rather than later. I left mine for two years and it got really bad. The edinburgh test is ok, although it is only as accurate as the answers you give, i was borderline but only because i answered in a way that didnt make me look like a total fruit loop.

lots of mums have had pnd, lots of support on here - best person to see ime is your GP, my HV was about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

lovelyboysadmum Mon 06-Jul-09 15:33:47

Thanks everyone. I've made an appointment with a nice GP for next Tuesday. It seems a long way away but I've made it this far and we have a weekend away (which I've stressing about but will probably be very nice).

I am returning to work p/t in a few weeks, which I'm looking forward to a bit so I can maybe get a bit of 'me' back but also anxious about settling DS into childcare. I try to do some things for me but it's not easy to find the time and I tend to try and prioritise sleep (albeit fruitlessly).

I don't want to feel like this - and DP is lovely but soaks up emotions like a sponge and so we're both quite down. He says that I need to get some life back, to feel a bit more like 'me' and we both admit that we don't get out and do much, like we used to. I guess it is a vicious circle.

NotSo - I'm glad you told me about your newborn (congrats BTW). That's one thing that I worry about, that I will be too terrified to ever have another DC. sad

I suppose I'm partly scared of having PND but to be honest I'm more scared in a way of not having it - because then that just means that I'm not cut out for this lark at all and had better just get used to it. Which is a horrible feeling.

Thanks again. I can't really talk to anyone in RL life about this apart from DP, who doesn't know what to do or say.

oh yes I'm on my second as well! DD is 10 weeks! i'm starting to feel down again, but I'm much more aware of it this time and am going to get help much sooner (like 6 months sooner!) which will make a big difference!

Glad you've made the appointment.

and enjoy yourself this weekend! you deserve it!!

4andnotout Mon 06-Jul-09 15:45:31

Hi i had PND shortly after the birth of dd2 in 2005.

I bonded well with dd2 but she was a very hard baby to look after as she seemed to be nocturnal and pretty much cried all day and night. That coupled with her being dp's pfb and an overbearing MIL made it a relentless task.

I was prescribed fluxotine and it really helped, we moved to a new area when she was 5 months old and i made some lovely new friends and she started to get easier so i weaned myself of the ad's.

I have had 2 dd's since and haven't had a reoccurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now