Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovulation pain while on the Pill?

(3 Posts)
MomDePlume Mon 06-Jul-09 13:32:03

Been having monthly right-side pelvic pain for over a year now, and just had a laparoscopy last week which couldn't find anything wrong. I haven't been taking contraception for the last 3 months, as I'm TTC2, and the pain has been occurring mid-cycle, between about CD14 and CD18. During these times it's absolutely crippling, esp. in the middle of the night. These symptoms seem to indicate ovulation pain. BUT, for the first year that I had the pain, I was on the Pill. During that time, it wasn't mid-cycle - it would start intensely within a few hours of taking the first Pill after a break, and gradually subside over the next few days. The pain was very bad for the first few months I had it, then got milder and milder - until I stopped taking the Pill, when it came back with a vengeance.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced ovulation pain while on the Pill (or has any other suggestions of what this could be)?

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 06-Jul-09 14:47:43

NDP

I guess they were looking for endometriosis during the laparoscopy as this can cause such symptoms to arise. This is the usual reason as well why such ops are performed.

Have you had a follow up appt with the gynae on the surgical team who performed the op?. You need to speak to him as a matter of course to discuss the findings and lack of. I would also be asking about the possibility of endo causing these symptoms.

MomDePlume Mon 06-Jul-09 18:29:36

Thanks ATM. Yes, I did have a follow-up appointment with the consultant. She said that they'd mainly been looking for endo and ovarian cysts, neither of which they found. She said she was frankly a bit puzzled about the pain. Her guess was that it was a hormonal or 'functional' pain - ie the body performing its normal function but for some reason sustaining pain. She mentioned ovulation pain as a possibility, but seemed to think it was unlikely because it had started while I was on the Pill (hence my question on here). She suggested I leave things for a couple of months to see if it settled down, I think partly because she knew I was TTC - she said that pregnancy was actually the thing that was most likely to stop the pain, albeit temporarily. In the long term, she suggested I could try Mirena to suppress my cycles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now