Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Father home from hospital after heart bypass and coughing up dark blood- is this normal?

(8 Posts)
anastasia74 Mon 06-Jul-09 09:58:08

My father had a bypass a week ago and is now at home. He is having trouble breathing so will not go to bed - he sits in a chair all night and is now coughing up dark blood. is this normal? thanks.

anastasia74 Mon 06-Jul-09 09:58:52

My father had a bypass a week ago and is now at home. He is having trouble breathing so will not go to bed - he sits in a chair all night and is now coughing up dark blood. is this normal? thanks.

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Mon 06-Jul-09 10:01:07

Mmmm not sure....but i think dark blood would indicate it was 'old' blood and not bright red fresh blood which would definately be a worry.
Could you ring his GP or the ward he was on at the hospital? I'#m sure they could put your mind at rest.

sarah293 Mon 06-Jul-09 10:03:41

Message withdrawn

CMOTdibbler Mon 06-Jul-09 10:03:53

He really needs to speak to his GP, or the hospital team. Coughing up blood should never be ignored.

Was he having the trouble breathing before, or is this new ?

stanausauruswrecks Mon 06-Jul-09 10:04:09

Dark blood means it's old blood, and it's not that uncommon for patients to cough up little bits of sputum streaked with old blood post op. I would be more concerned about the fact he can't breathe.I would be getting his GP to see him ASAP. Another alternative is to ring the ward he was discharged from, speak to the nurse in charge and explain what is going on - IME, they would be happy to get him back to the ward for review by the medical team. He shouldn't be feeling like this, so needs sorting out - good luck!

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Mon 06-Jul-09 10:05:41

I didnt say it was normal to cough up blood....just there is a difference between old and fresh blood that's all ! smile

anastasia74 Mon 06-Jul-09 10:33:00

Thanks for quick replys. will act on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now