Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could this be a period? 6 weeks after giving birth but bf?

(13 Posts)
cece Sun 05-Jul-09 16:12:05

It was months and months before I got af after DD and DS1, they were both bf.

DS2 was born 6 weeks ago and fully bf. Bleeding stopped at about 4 weeks. Today I started spotting red blood, it is now heavier but not yet as heavy as a nomal af iyswim (but red coloured). Could this be af or just post partum bleeding?

MrsBadger Sun 05-Jul-09 16:39:52

I had this, thought at the time it was AF, but in retrospect was certainly just post-partum bleeding.

cece Sun 05-Jul-09 16:45:10

Thought it was too good to be true that it had stopped!

Hope it is not af, that is one of the benefits of bf.

MIAonline Sun 05-Jul-09 16:47:00

Probably not want you want to hear but I started my periods about 6-8 weeks after giving birth and I was breastfeeding.

I was gutted.

jenniferturkington Sun 05-Jul-09 16:47:38

Quite possible, after both ds and dd my periods returned at 6 weeks. Both exclusively bf, real PITA!

smartacus Sun 05-Jul-09 16:54:03

For my first two Dcs, i did not have a periode for about 6 months.

for Dcs3 and 4 periode came back two weeks after post partum bleed had stopped even though I was BF.

cece Sun 05-Jul-09 20:24:02

Noooooooooo

So could be my af sad

With DD it was 8 months and DS was 5 months so was expecting a bit longer tbh. sad

Mummyofmax Mon 06-Dec-10 10:22:09

hi i bled for 5 weeks then started again at 6 weeks for 4 days which I thought was period now again at 9 weeks so far for a couple of days. I am breastfeeding and it didnt stop my periods with my first child. Bit worried i have this irregular bleeding.
x

mankyscotslass Mon 06-Dec-10 10:24:01

It's possible. I breast fed all 3 of mine, and with the first two my period returned on week 8.

I was lucky with the youngest, I got to 11 mths!

Mummyofmax Mon 06-Dec-10 11:38:08

Manky, did you take a while to get in a regular pattern? x

mankyscotslass Mon 06-Dec-10 11:53:00

With the older two no, straight back in the same pattern as before. With DC3, it took a couple of months to settle down!

suiledonne Mon 06-Dec-10 11:57:40

Similar happened to me with dd1 but it wasn't a period. I had just overdone it a bit and started bleeding after I thought it was finished.

Took it easy and it stopped again. No period until she dropped some night feeds.

Have you have a busy few days? Are you feeling well in other ways?

Mummyofmax Mon 06-Dec-10 12:27:09

i feel fine, usual bugs that go round this time of year but not unwell. i dont think it can be because im doing too much as i just do the usual things that mummies do! was worried that im bleeding from somewhere i shouldnt be but would have thought by now i would know x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now