Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Could this be a period? 6 weeks after giving birth but bf?

(13 Posts)
cece Sun 05-Jul-09 16:12:05

It was months and months before I got af after DD and DS1, they were both bf.

DS2 was born 6 weeks ago and fully bf. Bleeding stopped at about 4 weeks. Today I started spotting red blood, it is now heavier but not yet as heavy as a nomal af iyswim (but red coloured). Could this be af or just post partum bleeding?

MrsBadger Sun 05-Jul-09 16:39:52

I had this, thought at the time it was AF, but in retrospect was certainly just post-partum bleeding.

cece Sun 05-Jul-09 16:45:10

Thought it was too good to be true that it had stopped!

Hope it is not af, that is one of the benefits of bf.

MIAonline Sun 05-Jul-09 16:47:00

Probably not want you want to hear but I started my periods about 6-8 weeks after giving birth and I was breastfeeding.

I was gutted.

jenniferturkington Sun 05-Jul-09 16:47:38

Quite possible, after both ds and dd my periods returned at 6 weeks. Both exclusively bf, real PITA!

smartacus Sun 05-Jul-09 16:54:03

For my first two Dcs, i did not have a periode for about 6 months.

for Dcs3 and 4 periode came back two weeks after post partum bleed had stopped even though I was BF.

cece Sun 05-Jul-09 20:24:02

Noooooooooo

So could be my af sad

With DD it was 8 months and DS was 5 months so was expecting a bit longer tbh. sad

Mummyofmax Mon 06-Dec-10 10:22:09

hi i bled for 5 weeks then started again at 6 weeks for 4 days which I thought was period now again at 9 weeks so far for a couple of days. I am breastfeeding and it didnt stop my periods with my first child. Bit worried i have this irregular bleeding.
x

mankyscotslass Mon 06-Dec-10 10:24:01

It's possible. I breast fed all 3 of mine, and with the first two my period returned on week 8.

I was lucky with the youngest, I got to 11 mths!

Mummyofmax Mon 06-Dec-10 11:38:08

Manky, did you take a while to get in a regular pattern? x

mankyscotslass Mon 06-Dec-10 11:53:00

With the older two no, straight back in the same pattern as before. With DC3, it took a couple of months to settle down!

suiledonne Mon 06-Dec-10 11:57:40

Similar happened to me with dd1 but it wasn't a period. I had just overdone it a bit and started bleeding after I thought it was finished.

Took it easy and it stopped again. No period until she dropped some night feeds.

Have you have a busy few days? Are you feeling well in other ways?

Mummyofmax Mon 06-Dec-10 12:27:09

i feel fine, usual bugs that go round this time of year but not unwell. i dont think it can be because im doing too much as i just do the usual things that mummies do! was worried that im bleeding from somewhere i shouldnt be but would have thought by now i would know x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: