Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Any GPs or practice nurse around?

(11 Posts)
brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 20:31:26

My father is visiting from Canada next month.

He has just started warfarin for AF and asked whether he could pay for INR blood tests at a surgery.

Could he just pay privately for it or does it always have to go through travel/health insurance?

brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 21:54:59


lulalullabye Sat 04-Jul-09 22:08:25

Your gp surgery should see him as a temporary resident and do the bloods. Canada is a commonwealth country, so no need to pay.

weegiemum Sat 04-Jul-09 22:11:58

I'm married to a GP and we talk - though he is working tonight.

Either - travel insurance should cover it OR he can pay.

I don't think there is a reciprocal arrangement - as I had to pay to see a GP in Canada, pay for urine test, pay for prescription writing etc .....

Depends where he is. I have a feeling my dh would just do it if he needs it, but in a busy urban practice where things are pressured they will possibly charge.

Hope he has a good trip.

brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 22:20:57


On the DofH website it says that non residents are only exempt from charges when they seek emergency treatment.

Will check with my surgery but we are planning on traveling up to glasgow as well so will maybe need one there.

Sidge Sat 04-Jul-09 22:26:56

I don't think Canada has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK despite being a Commonwealth country.

They would treat your dad if he needed A&E treatment but for routine stuff at the GPs they may ask him to pay, or they may treat him during his stay but invoice his travel health insurance provider at the end of his trip for any blood tests etc.

Check with your local practice, the practice manager should be able to let you know what the procedure would be.

brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 22:44:09

thanks will do

weegiemum Sat 04-Jul-09 22:46:41

ggirl - can provide a nice friendly surgery near Glasgow if required!


brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 22:52:00

ooh really

we are staying in Falkland Street which I thikn is in Hyndland????

weegiemum Sat 04-Jul-09 22:53:04

No dh's surgery is a bit further out than that! Sorry!!

But most weegies are so friendly there should be no bother finding one to help out!

brimfull Sat 04-Jul-09 22:57:04

thanks anywya

kind of you to offer smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now