Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Prickly heat ;help please!!

(8 Posts)
ohnoherewego Sat 04-Jul-09 19:44:00

I've never had this before and am really suffering. I now have it on my arms, legs ,tummy and back and the itching is driving me crazy! I went to the pharmacists on Wednesday who recommended Benadryl cream. I went to see a different pharmacist today because the instructions say Benadryl should not be applied to large areas which obviously I now need to do. That chemist recommended aqueous calamine cream and to cover up but I'm still itching! I'm taking anti-histamine tablets for hayfever anyway and didn't get prickly heat by going out in the sun but by working in very hot office without air-con.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

madame Sat 04-Jul-09 20:02:55

Have you thought of trying Alovera Gel, I used it on my daughter and it calmed her skin down so well.

ohnoherewego Sat 04-Jul-09 20:09:12

Thanks. I did find some in a drawer yesterday but it didn't help much. Does anyone know what causes prickly heat?

belgo Sat 04-Jul-09 20:12:32

My dd1 has had this all week, it's kept us all awake with her itching! The doctor prescribed antihistamine (fensitril), menthol talc and we're also using Euceta which is a gel with camomille and arnica. And plenty of cool, damp flannels against her skin.

belgo Sat 04-Jul-09 20:14:05

I think in dd1's case it was caused by her getting too hot and also having so much sun cream on her skin couldn't breathe and perspire properly. But I wasn't actually with her when it happened as I was away all last weekend, so I'm not sure entirely what happened.

madame Sat 04-Jul-09 20:14:54

www.nhs.uk/conditions/prickly-heat

giddykipper Sat 04-Jul-09 20:16:35

I know that this is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but I find Piz Buin sensitive suntan lotion stops me getting prickly heat.

ohnoherewego Sat 04-Jul-09 20:31:11

Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the website and make an appointment to see the GP to see if I can get something more effective on prescription.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now