Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone else (or their dcs) got bad eczema or psoriasis at the moment?

(19 Posts)
foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 08:22:20

I'm fed up with mine now tbh. I hardly ever get very bad outbreaks but have one now at the top of my thighs and on my elbows grrr. Can keep putting cream on my elbows at work but to get to the top of my thighs, have to keep going to the bathroom and taking out creams.

And it's fine in the office where it's cool but as soon as I get back on the train, it's non air conditioned and absolutely boiling which means whatever fabric I'm wearing sticks to my thighs (even if it's pure cotton) which is making it a lot worse

just wondered what anyone else is doing in this weather to make it a bit easier

have just plastered myself in epaderm and am feeling all sticky and cross!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 04-Jul-09 08:28:40

Mines ok at the moment, just a few mild patches. But I have huge sympathy for you. Apart from epaderm what are you trying?

EachPeachPearMum Sat 04-Jul-09 08:32:04

DS is suffering at present... but you know that as you posted on my thread smile

It's awful isn't it?
He is like a little melting greaseball... yum yum!
Not much help I know, but you have my sympathy.

The worst eczema I had was a little patch just on my waistband... that was a nightmare and took ages to go as it was getting rubbed the whole time.

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 08:32:47

I have eumovate and just normal hydrocortisone

have used Elocon in the past but can't find it in the cupboard grr. Assume I might need to get another prescription but I think most of the problem is the weather and the location of the outbreak on my thighs (it's right under where the lower part of my knickers would go down to about half way to my knees) and there's nothing much I can do about material sticking there I guess. I could bandage it up but I'm hesitant to do that because I think it might make it hotter!

glad yours is ok at the moment

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 08:34:13

yes poor little lad! I didn't want to hijack your thread with my woes because tbh, I would far rather have it badly than the dcs have it badly. Especially at the age yours is EPPM because you can't explain it to them!

how is he doing?

EachPeachPearMum Sat 04-Jul-09 11:10:54

Oh fox- it sounds v painful sad
would something similar to wet wrapping help at all?

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 13:41:41

it's feeling a bit better now because I've got shorts on so it's getting a lot more air (because I think that helps make it go hard and then it seems to get better if that makes sense ). I just hope it doesn't get worse next week when I'm back at work grrr.

how is your boy doing EachPeachPearMum?

used2bthin Sat 04-Jul-09 13:45:20

Dds psoriasis has almost disappeared. She has it on her face and elbows though so they are getting a lot of sun and air maybe that helps. I found a suncream that has really helped it though its called La Vera I got it in a health shop and it has got primrose oil and liqurice in as well as other things.

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 13:50:09

ah that's good used2bthin. Must be a relief for you and her!

I think fresh air helps too (wasn't there something about some sunshine being good for psioriasis or am I imagining that?!)

woodlands35 Sat 04-Jul-09 14:13:48

hi fox , i too have eczema & so has my dd(3)
have you tried AVEENO cream yet , i find it fantastic . it lasts for hours protecting the skin where other creams dry in so quickly
my dd's nurse recommended it to us a few months ago & i was amazed at the difference it has made . you can buy it in tesco's or dunnes
hope you are feeling better soon .

used2bthin Sat 04-Jul-09 14:24:33

Yes I think that light therapy is sometimes used for adults with psoriasis. It cleared up last year while we were on holiday so I think sea air is good too (holidays on the NHS?!)

Drusilla Sat 04-Jul-09 14:45:19

Woodlands - re the Aveeno, go and see your GP and you can get in on prescription. DS gets through about 4 tubes a month, which would cost a lot at £6 a tube! My eczema virtually disappears in the summer (as long as we have some sun) and DS is a lot better in the warm months. Especially if we go to the beach, if we go on a beach holiday his eczema disappears completely after just a few days of sun and sea.

woodlands35 Sat 04-Jul-09 14:55:16

thanks drusilla , i have tried to get it on prescription but i live in Ireland & was told that any product that is sold over the counter can not be gotten on prescription ,
it is really annoying as between my dd & me i usually spend around 20 euro a week on creams & bath lotions alone , we both have atopic eczema but the heat seems to make it worse some how for us . dd is waking up at night 3-4 times .
great that you & ds clear up in the sun , lots of days on the beach this summer so smile

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jul-09 18:59:26

I am better by the sea too! Yes, I think we should campaign for seaside holidays used2bthin wink!

We can't get Aveeno on prescription either but it doesn't do anything for my skin unfortunately (works well on the dcs though). The Epaderm I find is v good (but just v thick) - I think my outbreaks are related to allergies and illness so not much I can do to stop them in advance iyswim.

Drusilla Sun 05-Jul-09 10:54:11

do you get hay fever foxinsocks?

foxinsocks Mon 06-Jul-09 20:44:12

yes I do. Although these outbreaks are related to me getting sore joints. Is all very mysterious. Happily, it is far far better today so I am hoping <fingers crossed> that it's on its way out. It looks worse but feels better iyswim!

Drusilla Mon 06-Jul-09 21:43:46

It's just that DSs flares when his hayfever kicks in - presumably if something is irritating his nose/eyes etc then it must do the same to his skin? He has been on loratadine syrup for a few weeks now and there was a noticable improvement in his ksin withtin a few days of starting it.

foxinsocks Tue 07-Jul-09 07:20:01

thanks drus, yes it's certainly a possibility isn't it. Certainly the antihistamines help with the itching I think, even if the rash itself isn't allergy related. Glad your ds is feeling better. Do you think his skin is flaring up because of hayfever or do you think it's other allergies? Have you had him tested?

triggerhappybaby Tue 07-Jul-09 12:59:16

Tis not a quick fix by any means (nor a cheap one) but I had homeopathy to cure mine. And I mean cure, not relieve...

I should point out that I am a scientist by profession and if you had asked me before I would have said it was complete hooey - I still can't get my head round it but I have been clear of it for 12 years now with no recurrence. I was an absolute state - I had always had skin irritation but one summer it broke out in every fold and crease and spread widely. I was into work late every morning because when I woke up I couldn't straighten my arms or the backs of my legs, I used to soak shirt-sleeves through around the insides of my elbows. My nipples wept and wept for months - they looked wet all the time and I had to put melolin (sp?) squares inside my bra to stop seepage which were AGONY to pull off. All in all it was desperation that sent me to seek alternative therapy - steriod creams weren't touching it.

I went to see the homeopathist about 4 times, she gaves me 'medicines' that lasted a couple of months. She said it would slowly begin to work its way out to my extremities and then disappear - the stuff off my face and ears went first, then armpits, elbows and finally wrists and fingers, ditto with legs. Six months later it was gone, never to return. It baffles me to this day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now