Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arm swollen up after being bitten by insect. What can I do?

(14 Posts)
LyraSilvertongue Thu 02-Jul-09 18:57:14

It must have been a mosquito or similar and now I've got a big, itchy swelling on the back of my arm, above my elbow, but it's not hard like normal mozzie bites.
I've tried taking an anti-histamine and I've tried an ice pack to no avail.
Any more ideas?

nellie12 Thu 02-Jul-09 19:00:03

is the redness spreading or forming a track up the arm?

donnie Thu 02-Jul-09 19:02:03

I had to take antibiotics one time after mozzie bites which became massive swellings. And it was in London! see your GP.

LyraSilvertongue Thu 02-Jul-09 19:02:18

No, just an itchy bulge but not spreading.

LyraSilvertongue Thu 02-Jul-09 19:02:59

Really Donnie? Urgh, I hate going to the docs. It does feel hot too.

donnie Thu 02-Jul-09 19:06:08

yes really! it was a few years back. I got two bites and my leg from the knee down swelled so much it was - literally - twice the width of my other leg. It was very sore and hot - basically I could hardly walk after 24 hrs! The GP said I'd got infected bits and gave me antibiotics whoch sorted it out. I had scars from the bites for a few years though.

Soem insect bites can give very nasty viruses so don't delay - see the doc.

HTH

nellie12 Thu 02-Jul-09 19:07:41

was about to say gp It could be the start of cellulitis which is very common after bites and does need antibiotics. If it does spread you need to see gp as urgent. sorry!!

LyraSilvertongue Thu 02-Jul-09 19:09:41

This is all Very Bad News grin

jybay Thu 02-Jul-09 20:40:42

Did the bite happen today? If yes, it won't be an infection but histamine release in response to the bite that is causing the swelling. Anti-histamines are the right approach but some are more effective than others. Piriton is the best for this sort of thing but do be careful as it can cause drowsiness. The other thing that helps is keeping the arm elevated as much as possible e.g. rest the arm on the back of the sofa so that it is as high as possible.

If the bite did not happen today then the others are right and it could be infection. You do need to see a GP - don't leave it as untreated skin infections can be very nasty.

jybay (GP)

LyraSilvertongue Thu 02-Jul-09 22:30:18

No,it happened yesterday.
It is feeling a little less fat this evening. I'll see how it is in the morning.
I can't take Piriton, it knocks me out.
Thanks for the advice smile

JetLi Fri 03-Jul-09 06:25:19

Last summer I copped for some very nasty, swollen, itchy midgy bites and when I visited the Pharmacist, he gave me a mild steroid cream (oral antihistamines & antihistamine creams seemed to have little effect at the time) - I was a bit hmm hmm at the time, but gave it a go and they were much better in less than 24 hours. Might be worth a try?

weegiemum Fri 03-Jul-09 06:28:38

Draw round it!

Seriously, take a pen and draw round the perimiter of the current hot/red/swollen bit. If it is any bigger by later - say lunchtime from now - then you may well have cellulitis that is spreading and you will prob need antibiotics (think its Flucloxacillin they give for that) for it.

Hope it is better soon.

LyraSilvertongue Fri 03-Jul-09 16:52:08

It's no fatter but it's itching like hell. And my temp is up slightly - I'm usually about 36.6 and I'm now 37.3.
Gonna have to face the doc...

nellie12 Fri 03-Jul-09 17:50:25

yeah thats definitely suspect sad go to docs sooner rather than later thatway you'll avoid the IV antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now