Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Funny thing at the back of my throat - am I being hysterical to think it may be serious?

(12 Posts)
ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 02-Jul-09 08:18:13

For the past few days I have what feels like a hair trapped at the back of my throat/tongue? I'm sure it's nothing really (fingers crossed) but seem to remember reading John Diamonds book about dying from throat cancer and his symptoms started out in the SAME WAY!!!

Am I being hysterical do you think and just need to go and take a long drink of water (although I have tried this and the 'hair' hasn't dislodged at all). Or could it possibly be something and it may be worth getting it checked out.

We do have a dog btw but I haven't liked him and so doubt I really have a trapped hair.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 02-Jul-09 08:20:23

It can be the symptom of something to to with anxiety/stress, I believe. Also, for me, when I'm suffering from heartburn (always stress-related for me), I often get a sensation as if I have a partially sucked Haribo jelly stuck at the back of my throat!

Are you particularly stressed out at the moment?

Try taking some Gaviscon for a couple of days and see if that helps - otherwise, off to the GP!

southeastastra Thu 02-Jul-09 08:20:25

it's probably just a scratch, they can feel like hair. gargle with salt water and don't panic

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 02-Jul-09 08:25:06

Thank you very much

The dog comment was meant to read "I haven't licked him" of course. <sigh>

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 02-Jul-09 08:25:46

have a look at this

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 02-Jul-09 08:34:26

Thanks becauseimworthit, but it's not really a lump, more of a tickle. I'm not really stressed at the moment, although have also had my first migrains. OH GAWD am falling apart!

Will try the salt water gargle and calm down smile

loopylou6 Thu 02-Jul-09 15:37:57

i have had this and also started a post about it.

it maybe just a hair, to rule this out, eat half a peice of dried bread as this would dislogde any stray hair.

secondly if this doesnt work, then it is very likely you have a little scratch at the back of your throat, maybe froma crisp or a sharp peice of food, dont worry though smile

jybay Thu 02-Jul-09 20:43:40

Agree it is likely to be a scratch from food. Unless it suddenly gets a lot worse, it is fine to leave it for a week or so to settle. If it still has not settled by the week after next, see your GP but try not to worry - it is extremely unlikely to be anything serious.

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 02-Jul-09 23:08:13

Oh thank God for Mumsnet. You girls are fabulous. I think it must be a scratch and not vile tongue cancer as it feels a little better today.

<Breathes huge sigh of relief >

corriefan Tue 07-Jul-09 23:17:30

I had this but I knew what it was from- a small mackerel bone. It was just irritating but it wasn't going anywhere despite bread etc. In the end I went to minor injuries and first the nurse looked but couldn't see anything, so I was sent for an xray which didn't pick anything up so was sent to ENT who had a look and they plucked it out of my tonsils (which should have been done by the first nurse who missed it)- immediate relief!

ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 07-Jul-09 23:52:49

Oh really, that's interesting, it's been a week now and it's still there, so a scratch should of healed by now surely??

pickyvic Wed 08-Jul-09 00:41:05

and enough to put me of mackeral for life...this also happened to my gran. i think its quite common. id go get checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now