Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Green pus from baby's BCG site

(8 Posts)
JuJuMoo Mon 16-May-05 15:01:21

Hi all, my DH is from Iraq so DS (now 5 months) had a BCG shot a couple of months ago. It had scabbed over and seemed to be healing nicely, but the scab came off as I was drying him last night (after bathtime) and loads of light greeen pus came out of the site followed by yellow pus, clear stuff and a little blood. (sorry: too much info!) I cleaned it up and put some cream on it but I've just noticed again some green pus on his sleeve.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all, and laughed when I cleaned it up just now, and the area around the site is not red; its just the pus I'm worried about. Is this normal?

Should I clean it/cover it/seek health visitor's advice? What do you think?

Many thanks, JuJuMoo :-)

flum Mon 16-May-05 15:03:23

you know i seem to remember they warn you that it may become inflamed a couple of months after

not sure about the pus though......

i'm sure you'll get a better response

Louise1980 Mon 16-May-05 15:06:10

I can vividly remember mine oozing green puss afer about 6 weeks. It was during a music lesson if that helps! I was abou 13 at the time though. We were told that this would happen. Id think it was ok as long as the area around it isnt red/inflamed/hot. Id give it a day or so and see how he goes. Unless someone else gives better advice.

JuJuMoo Mon 16-May-05 15:08:11

Thanks for the help :-) He has gone off to sleep now whilst I posted this and searched the et, I'm going to see the nurse tomorrow for something else, so I'll mention it then. :-)

Tinker Mon 16-May-05 15:09:23

Yes, mine at school went all crusty

Louise1980 Mon 16-May-05 15:09:44

That sounds like a plan. She will know what to expect. Like I said it was about 211yrs ago I had mine!

Louise1980 Mon 16-May-05 15:10:06

God Im really old rnt I!!! I meant 11 yrs!

morocco Mon 16-May-05 15:11:58

if it were me I'd check it out with the GP unless your hv seems to have seen many bcg scars. my 2 had scars that took about 6 months to scar (mine on the other hand never scarred) but there was not as much discharge as you seem to have with your ds9.

I found this on pediatriconcall - does it sound like your ds's reaction?

What is the normal reaction to BCG vaccine?
Immediately after the BCG vaccine there is a small swelling at the injection site which persists for 6-8 hours. After that the swelling disappears & the injection site looks normal. After 6-8 weeks a swelling reappears which looks like a mosquito bite. It grows in size & forms a nodule which breaks open & discharges some fluid & forms an ulcer. The ulcer heals by forming a scar. The whole process takes 2-5 weeks. Some times this process of ulceration & healing recurs 2-3 times. Ultimately the typical puckered scar is formed which remains for lifetime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now