Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tonsil-free but plenty of pain - please tell me this gets better soon?!

(8 Posts)
EyePeam Wed 01-Jul-09 20:44:05

had my tonsils out last Thurs. was told the pain would be worse 3-6 days after rather than immediately after. thought I was doing quite well until yesterday which wasn't great - but OMG today eating, swallowing, talking is agony.

don't think I have an infection (no bleeding, no fever) but am having to force myself to eat, doing so with white knuckles as it were.

those of you who had your tonsils out as an adult - is this level of pain normal?? and will it stop any time soon??!

TIA

Marthasmama Wed 01-Jul-09 20:47:19

I did. Make sure your taking pain killers as often as you can because, yes, it is bloody agony isn't it? How are the scabby bits? From what I remember things got a bit better once the scabs had fallen off. However that bit in itself was horrible.

cocolepew Wed 01-Jul-09 20:48:52

I had mine out in october, OMG the pain on the 5th day was hideous. It lasts a couple of days then it should level off, it can get bad around the 10th day. I was told if it didn't level off, to go to thr Dr. But I knew I had already got an infection.

Sympathies and keep taking the drugs every day for 2 weeks.

It is worth it, when everyone was getting bad throats, I only had a slight ear ache.

Good luck!

littlelamb Wed 01-Jul-09 20:50:19

Yes, it's normal. It gets worse before it gets better unfortunately. The most pain I remember being in was on about day 7 or 8 when the scabs came off, about a couple of hours apart. The pain literally stopped me in my tracks, I have never felt anything like it shock Keep eating, and try and take it easy. I did far too much after my op, but really a GA does knock it out of you, you need to be resting up. Most of my pain was in my ears, so I ended up outside in the sunshine with a scarf wrapped around my head and it made me feel a bit better. Don't put up with the pain though, go back and ask for some stronger painkillers if you need to- my disolvable Solpadol became my 4 hourly best friend for a week wink

EyePeam Wed 01-Jul-09 20:55:29

scabs??! I see no scabs ... just loads of white stuff, which I think is normal.

thanks for your reassurances. it is so hard to keep forcing myself to eat (not a sentence I ever thought I'd write [greedy emoticon])but I know it is essential.

and drugs for 2 weeks? I was given antibiotics for 1 week... may be seeing the GP at this rate.

have pain killers. codeine is fabulous but the side effects (constipation, ooooowww) are not.

I have been amazed by how knackered I've been - didn't realise a GA could take it out of you for so long, thought it would be a matter of sleeping that off for a couple of days.

cocolepew Wed 01-Jul-09 20:58:37

I was told not to stop the pain relief for at least 10 days. I took Voltarol, ibruprofen,codeine and paracetamol grin. The pain was in my ears too. I didn't really notice the scabs falling off, but I do eat a lot of Monster Munch, and it was hard to tell grin

Marthasmama Wed 01-Jul-09 21:00:12

The white stuff is the scabs Eyepeam. They fall away eventually and eating helps to scrape them off.

squashedfrogs Wed 01-Jul-09 21:15:57

The pain I had was worse than the episode of tonsillitis which left me hospitalised. It gets better though and is definitely worth it in the end. Eating will be awful but does help the healing. I had no idea that mashed potatoes could cause so much pain!

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now