Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could this be arthiritis? If so, do I have to go to the docs?

(22 Posts)
Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 18:07:23

ring finger on left hand feels sore, stiff ,almost a bit numb in the mornings and on and off throughout the day.

looks a bit swollen and the joints feel lumpier than the other hand

little finger on that hand also sore and stiff

am 34, surely far too young for anything like this???

heeeeeeeeeelp!

PlumBumMum Wed 01-Jul-09 18:10:31

Sorry to say your not to young for arthritis but there could be other explainations, like carpal tunnel has similiar sounding systems off to the gp with you

sweetfall Wed 01-Jul-09 18:10:47

yes and yes

if it is arthritis, and a rheumatoid form then the earlier you seek treatment the better the prognosis can be

the fact it's stiff in the mornings sound arthritic

and no you're not too young

could also be something else though

foxytocin Wed 01-Jul-09 18:13:11

agree it can also be carpal tunnel. i got it from using the mouse too much.

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 18:13:42

bum

was hoping it was thoroughly harmless numb finger syndrome !!

was at the docs a month ago, i only like to go 2 -3 times a year

blush

don't really know about arthiritis.. is it auto immune related?

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 18:14:37

have had carpal tunnel and it was totally different, affected my whole hands, which were totally numb, heavy then weirdly tingly and only happened in the mornings on waking.

also, use my right hadn for the mouse, and that hand is fine !

sweetfall Wed 01-Jul-09 18:17:13

can be osteo (wear and tear) or auto-immune yes

different types demand different treatments

it could be anything though, you'll have to use one of your gp visits - expect blood tests and possibly x-rays

PlumBumMum Wed 01-Jul-09 18:17:27

grin numb finger syndrome

yes arthritis is an autoimmunity conditon, my dd has it and she only 8 she's had it from she was 2 so never too young for arthritis(all different types)

Are you on any medication, I'm on thyroxine and was getting numbness in my baby toes and sometimes my little fingers I needed my medication adjusted!

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 18:19:22

righty ho

i have crohn's disease so was wondering if there was any connection... re auto immune

so , i will go to the docs and see what they say

will i need meds if it is? does it ever go away? <<gulp>>

sweetfall Wed 01-Jul-09 18:19:26

could also be repetitive strain or anything

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 18:20:03

only regular meds is a steroid inhaler

sweetfall Wed 01-Jul-09 18:20:44

yy chrons and auto-immune arthritic conditions - there is a link (can be a link)

you might not need meds

and it might go away totally - like chrons auto-immune arthritis is a flare-up, never know when nor how long, kind of condition

But how about one step at a time, find out first

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 18:22:09

ok

i will go to the doctors ASAP

just did not want to go and they laugh at me for having totally harmless numb finger syndrome
grin

thank you all very much

sweetfall Wed 01-Jul-09 18:26:23

I googled for you.

this seems a good page: ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/relatedconditions/a/arthritisibd.htm

Focus on the bit where it says "Fortunately, this type of arthritis does not generally cause any permanent damage"

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 18:27:51

thanks, very kind.. will have a read after bathtime x

jeminthepark Wed 01-Jul-09 18:34:10

Hi I have similar symptoms to the OP- I have a first and ring finger with similar symptoms on one hand- it has been coming on for months but a few weeks ago I woke up and my first finger joint resembled a pink fir(potato)-

.... thing is, even though my fingers are really swollen and sore, and I have difficulty using them, and can no longer get my wedding ring on.... my bloods came back with fab results....

What has GP prescribed in interim?
I took diclofenic but it sends me a bit wappy, have naproxofen now(will go and check spelling)

Have you a history of arthritis in your family?

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 19:59:36

hi jem, not been to the docs yet...i can;t take anti inflammatories like diclofenac long term i don;t think due to the crohns

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 20:02:43

had a read of that link sweetfall, it does not sound too bad at all

poface Wed 01-Jul-09 20:10:20

i had very severe, very, very severe episode of arthritis, started in my fingers, spread to all my joints, lasted 6 months, then pretty much disappeared, never got a proper diagnosis. all joint swollen, i was like an old lady. Only the occasionally ache now. So if it is arthritis [and it does sound like it] doesn't necessarily me long term. Yes it is an auto immune thing, they will probably do blood tests.

poface Wed 01-Jul-09 20:11:04

gawd my typing is getting bad..

Lulumama Wed 01-Jul-09 20:16:35

that sounds bad , poface. was it really painful?

poface Wed 01-Jul-09 23:09:22

yes it was, agony, survived on large doses of nurofen and then prescribed anti inflammatories and steroids. Got better gradually, first month the worst. All very odd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now