Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New diabetic, have just found out I need to inject insulin, don't think i can do it

(7 Posts)
memoo Wed 01-Jul-09 18:00:46

Sorry if I am going on about my diabetes but still trying to get my head around everything.

I have gestational diabetes and despite been really good with my diet it isn't working and i need to have insulin injections.

I only have to do it once a day at the moment, just before lunch.

Problem is I'm really not sure i can inject myself, tbh i am bricking it. How the hell do you do it?

Is it better to slowly put the needle in or to just do it really quick.

Only just got my script, need to start tomorrow

ahhhha! sad

giraffescantdancethetango Wed 01-Jul-09 18:09:16

Have they not given you any training on it?

Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 18:12:58

Best to do it quick

Honestly, it is nothing like as bad as you think it will be. The needle is like a hair and it really doesn't hurt. I am really a wuss about pain and I was able to do it without flinching after the first few times.

It hurts less than the little prick to test your blood sugar

memoo Wed 01-Jul-09 19:30:04

They showed me exactly how to use it and how to set it to give the correct dose, and how to inject it in my thigh. I had a go at pressing it but not into myself.

So I do know how to do it but actually sticking a needle into myself is something that I am going to find really difficult.

Greensleves, I have been ok pricking my finger to do blood sugar so if it does hurt less than that I'll be really happy.

I have to have my first dose tomorrow just before lunch

Bleatblurt Wed 01-Jul-09 19:37:44

I wasn't allowed to leave without showing I could do it on myself. I feel a bit cross for you that they didn't do that for you so that you knew you could do it when home.

Don't do it too slowly or it will hurt more. But don't do what my DH did (the one time I asked him to do it) and do it quickly as if it was a dart. OUCH! I do it in a nice fatty roll (mmm I'm so sexy wink) at my side and it doesn't hurt at all there. I find it very sore to do it in my thigh.

The first few times are a bit horrible but you will soon get used to it.

Sidge Wed 01-Jul-09 19:59:10

It hurts less than the fingerprick!

Do you have a pen device? If so the needle is so fine you will hardly feel it. Just push it into your thigh, the needle is quite short so you will hardly know it's there.

My DD2 has daily growth hormone injections and hers is given through a pen device just like an insulin pen. She helps me do it and she's 5 and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. When we were learning how to do it when she was a toddler we did it on ourselves and you really don't feel it (especially on my fat thighs! grin)

Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 21:00:16

honestly memoo, the finger prick is more violent and more painful grin

I sympathise HUGELY, I was really floored when I was presented with it

but trust me, it doesn't hurt and it isn't squeamish or nasty, it's really quick and really easy xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now