Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists around please?

(13 Posts)
used2bthin Tue 30-Jun-09 23:32:15

I had a filling replaced last week after it just fell out while I was flossing my teeth. It was quite a big one and then he drilled more to replace it. The new filling fell out today while I was eating. I am so scared that the dentist won't be able to replace it again as there isn't much tooth left. Would he be able to crown it if not fill? I'm really panicking as it would show if he took this tooth out.

used2bthin Tue 30-Jun-09 23:46:05

desperate bump? Anyone even if you aren't a dentist and have had a crown maybe? Maybe the title wasn't good!

jasper Wed 01-Jul-09 00:06:56

hello I am a dentist and I used to be thin too!

Can you tell me where in your mouth the tooth is?

I can't possibly say without seeing the tooth, BUT if it is painless and is not broken below the line of the gum , and what is left of it is solid , yes, there is a very good chance it can be crowned.

Tell me some more details

used2bthin Wed 01-Jul-09 00:11:19

hi Jasper thank you. think most of it isn't broken below the gum but there may be a tiny bit that is. It would be fourth in from the back, top left. I say would be becasue I have already lost the back two on that row.

What is left feels solid although I am too scared to try that theory out. It is just filling that has come out but I am just worried that as he tried to fill it this time and again it fell out that it won't take a filling now iyswim?

jasper Wed 01-Jul-09 00:17:25

sounds hopeful!
If no pain there is every chance a crown will fix it.

Please don't be scared . Just make it very clear to your dentist you are really keen to save the tooth, with a crown if necessary.
You would be amazed how many people say if a filling comes out "oh, just take the tooth out" !

if the dentist knows you are ken to save it he will do his best to do so

mears Wed 01-Jul-09 00:19:29

Hello jasper (thread hijack) - how are you?

used2bthin Wed 01-Jul-09 00:26:51

No pain I think it is the same tooth that I had an absess in years ago so it is dead I think. Any chance he could just re fill or does it sound unlikely?

My dentist is so lovely, I just keep thinking about whe he couldnt save my other tooth though and panicking because this one would really show.

used2bthin Wed 01-Jul-09 00:28:22

Thank you for your help jasper I can't sleep for worrying! I hope he can do a crown. f not maybe a bridge?

jasper Wed 01-Jul-09 00:41:04

mears! Very well, how are you and yours? I am not often here.
usedtobethin you really must get back to your dentist and get him to check it out!

used2bthin Wed 01-Jul-09 00:47:14

Yes I will do I can't wait. Hoping he will fit me in as an emergency tomorrow lunch time. Dreading ringing as I only had it fixed up last monday!

Thanks again for talking to me about it.

jasper Wed 01-Jul-09 00:53:44

don't dread it, your dentist will feel bad as the filling has come out twice ! He won't blame you!

used2bthin Wed 01-Jul-09 14:21:37

Thank you t went better than expected he managed to fix the filling again. But he said it may not last so it will be a crown if it happens again. Which is better than having a missing tooth so I am relieved I think! He said I can eat after an hour but I'm not taking any risks I feel like not eating on that side for a month! Or maybe living on soft food only forever!

jasper Wed 01-Jul-09 23:48:12

good result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now