Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Too much scar tissue after birth!

(7 Posts)
fruitstick Tue 30-Jun-09 19:48:29

Have been to see GP today to have my mirena coil fitted sad

I mentioned that sex was still uncomfortable during sex and she said I had a lot of scar tissue from my stitches.

Told me to massage the area every day for a fortnight hmm and go back if it's no better.

Does it get better by itself? If not, what can they do.

Will sex be uncomfortable forever!

canttouchthis Tue 30-Jun-09 20:35:42

when did you give birth? I also have a small amount of scar tissue (put me off sex for the first 4 months of my son's life!) but gradually eased into it.
I found that missionary is a no-no for me these days, but can manage doggy-style or spooning is also comfortable.
I've personally found that as the months went on, sex has gotten easier but only because we have to experiment and try various positions. Spooning is much easier out of all of the positions, I don't feel uncomfortable anymore about scar tissue being there, hardly notice it now. I had a third degree tear.

If it is becoming a real problem, you can have it surgically removed (the scar tissue, that is!).

How badly did you tear if you don't mind me asking?

fruitstick Tue 30-Jun-09 20:44:35

DS2 is 4 months old and I had a 2nd degree tear, so probably still early days.

Am just a bit down as I was so determined to have a VBAC and actually feel I'd have been better off with a planned section.

canttouchthis Tue 30-Jun-09 20:50:01

give it time to heal, honestly, it gets better as time goes on. i worried at the start but it seems my worrying was for nothing (as per usual hmm).
good luck with everything and congrats

Jacksmama Tue 30-Jun-09 21:02:21

It is early days and things do get better, but my god, this is not how you want things to be after having your little one. I had a forceps delivery and third degree tear (not diagnosed at the time, they thought it was a second degree tear) so I really feel your pain. They did a very poor job stitching me, the internal scar was mahoosive and ropy and incredibly painful, so I had to have a "repair" done this past Feb, where the internal scar was excised and everything put together more neatly (and what was previously left unstitched was repaired too). Sex was an impossibility for at least four months after DS's birth and pretty crap until my repair. I am happy to say though that it's all good now - night and day compared to before my op!!

fruitstick Tue 30-Jun-09 21:26:10

Thanks for the reassurance.

Without wishing to get ahead of myself? how big a deal is the repair. Is it a day surgery or is it a inpatient, stay in bed and eat toblerone job.

Jacksmama Tue 30-Jun-09 22:20:39

For me, it was an overnight stay. I could have gone home the same day but my lovely surgeon said she preferred me to stay overnight and get a good rest. FWIW, I think she was right. She advised me to take two weeks off work (I have a very physical job) and because I am a stupid tw*t I overdid it grin and ended up taking three weeks off... but the last weekw, while very beneficial, wasn't strictly necessary. My mum came to help out, which was wonderful, as I'd been advised not to lift anything heavy. But tell that to a one-year-old who wants to be with his mama!! Let's put it this way: I wouldn't want to do it every year but it wasn't that bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now