Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sore nipple after stopping breastfeeding - normal?

(3 Posts)
WibblyPigRocks Tue 30-Jun-09 18:31:43

Yes, I know this question is more suited to the BFing topic, but I've been bumping it for a while on there and had no takers, so I thought I'd try my luck here! Any thoughts very gratefully received!

I BF my DS for nearly 13 months, but last Tuesday evening we had our last night time feed and he now has a cup of milk at bedtime.

Because I've only been giving one feed in the evening for a few weeks now, I haven't experienced much in the way of engorgement, but my left nipple is giving me a bit of gip. It's very tender and it hurts if I knock it or press it. There is a little bit of milk there if I squeeze it, but it's not flowing out in rivers or anything like that. Occasionally, I get a couple of sharp but mild pains there without doing anything to it.

Is this sort of thing normal when you stop BFing? I must admit my body has surprised me by how much 'feels' different since stopping!

Feelingoptimistic Tue 30-Jun-09 22:03:38

I stopped BF about 2 years ago, but one of my nipples still gets a bit tender from time to time. I did go and see a doctor about it. It comes and goes.

WibblyPigRocks Wed 01-Jul-09 14:32:56

Thanks - might still see the doc, then - just to check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now