Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I have an uncomfortable feeling in my chest like a tight band and am getting worried

(10 Posts)
MagNacarta Mon 29-Jun-09 23:17:38

It's been going on and off for a while, I've tried Andrews and it didn't make much difference. It's like a band under my boobs and also around my back (have removed my bra so it's not that). Seems to be worse at night and when I'm lying down. Does anyone have any ideas?

IpeeFreely Mon 29-Jun-09 23:19:12

more on one side than the other?

you know that we are going to say ring 999 don't you


MagNacarta Mon 29-Jun-09 23:21:10

Ah bless you, I probably made it sound worse than it is, certainly not 999 worthy. I'm worried it could be something bad, not that I'm worried about tonight iyswim.

Not more on one side than the other, all around.

cornsilk Mon 29-Jun-09 23:23:11

Try NHS direct?

milou2 Mon 29-Jun-09 23:46:38

I was woken up twice over 6 months with something just like that. I lay there, realised I was fully alive, went and had a very british cup of tea and it went away. I was very stressed at the time. I did go to the dr though and was listened to and prodded thoroughly. After that it didn't come back.

See the dr anyway!!

babyignoramus Tue 30-Jun-09 09:52:54

Magnarta, are you drinking enough? I sometimes get something like this when I'm dehydrated. That could be it, esp. in this weather. You should seek advice anyway though, chest pain shouldn't be ignored.

schneebly Tue 30-Jun-09 09:57:51

could it be a sort of asthmatic type reaction to pollen maybe? Are you prone to hayfever/eczema etc?

blissa Tue 30-Jun-09 11:14:21

Do you get breathless at all?

It could be a number of things, muscular, anxiety, any of the things already mentioned on this thread. But you really should go to the dr and get it checked out.

Ripeberry Tue 30-Jun-09 11:21:04

It could be your intercostal muscles (in between your ribs) going into spasms.
I used to get that a lot when i was a teenager, so bad i could hardly breathe.
But go to your GP just to be sure.

MagNacarta Tue 30-Jun-09 19:57:52

Going to doctors on Thursday, thanks for all the ideas - haven't died yet, so it can't be that bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: