Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tell me about high colesterol

(9 Posts)
candyfluff Mon 29-Jun-09 19:19:18

got to go and see my gp as recent blood tests have shown i have high colesterol -what should i expect- diet? meds?

cass66 Mon 29-Jun-09 19:34:42

depends on a lot more than just your cholesterol level. Depends on how high, how old you are, whether you smoke, have diabetes or heart disease or a history of these, for example..

Why was it tested???

candyfluff Mon 29-Jun-09 19:42:31

the receptionist didnt say the figure but told me to see the gp .
im 29 ,overweight,dont smoke or drink.thats about it
have no idea why she looked at my col she was meant to be checking for infection markers folllowing ongoing toilet troubles(ibs?)

candyfluff Mon 29-Jun-09 20:11:18

bump

smartiejake Mon 29-Jun-09 20:26:34

I was told mine was a little high (5.8 and should be no higher than 5.2)Didn't see the Dr after the blood test- Was just given a diet sheet and told about various foods to avoid.

candyfluff Mon 29-Jun-09 20:35:04

thanks ,what sorts of foods?

candyfluff Mon 29-Jun-09 20:36:01

all the nice stuff i bet

cass66 Mon 29-Jun-09 22:14:02

..all the usual stuff, avoid processed foods, cakes, biscuits, saturated fats, cut all visible fat off meat, grill don't fry etc, and lots of fruit and veg and fish oils. benecol/proflora products can help.

BUT, the whole point about cholesterol is that it is a risk factor for developing heart/stroke disease. but if you have no other risk factors (ie smoking, diabetes, over 50, strong family history of heart disease), then there is no 'it must be below' level, only guidelines, and your risk will be low (unless your chol is sky high...)

What I'm trying to say is don't worry, but a low cholesterol diet is good for you anyway...HTH, Cass.

smartiejake Mon 29-Jun-09 22:21:42

Apparently one of the worst foods for high cholesterol is prawns!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now