Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I have PCOS? Or just plain old hypochondria? Anyone care to diagnose me?

(11 Posts)
TarkaLiotta Mon 29-Jun-09 15:46:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bessie123 Mon 29-Jun-09 16:15:17

I think spots on your chin are supposed to be hormonal, as is the hair, so you could have pcos. Or you could have something else on your ovaries, possibly a growth (do not mean cancer)

I am not a doctor.

TarkaLiotta Mon 29-Jun-09 21:00:53

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 29-Jun-09 21:01:36

Would go and see your GP and if they prove unhelpful I'd ask for a referral to a gynae or endocrinologist.

It could well be due to PCOS but you need proper medical advice first and foremost. You should have blood tests done to see what your hormone levels are like. Usually with PCOS there is an imbalance of LH (luteinising hormone) to FSH (follicle stimulation hormone) in that there's too much LH and not enough FSH.

They can also do an internal ultrasound scan to assess the state of your uterine cavity and ovaries (polycystic ovaries can appear larger than their normal walnut size and have multiple follicles on them. These follicles can and do disappear only to be replaced by further follicles).

You may find Verity's website helpful:-
www.verity-pcos.org.uk

Good luck and don't be fobbed off by the GP.

TarkaLiotta Mon 29-Jun-09 21:36:27

TarkaLiotta Tue 30-Jun-09 09:47:00

AuntieMaggie Tue 30-Jun-09 09:58:56

You could have developed it since the tests five years ago, or it could be that your hormones are more over the place since having your DD.

It's not uncommon for things to be different after having children... or so my friends tell me

Also, as you've been playing around with doses for AD's it could be to do with that too - it's funny what things can affect our hormones without us realising it.

Bessie123 Tue 30-Jun-09 16:50:41

oh, could you have endemetriosis? I think that causes painful periods and can make you spotty and hairy (sorry, didn't make it sound very nice)

TarkaLiotta Tue 30-Jun-09 21:43:37

Bessie123 Wed 01-Jul-09 09:56:30

Pregnancy can really help clear up endemetriosis.

Hope all ok on Fri.

TarkaLiotta Fri 03-Jul-09 13:24:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now