Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MUMPS - am I right in not worrying?

(6 Posts)
MadreInglese Mon 29-Jun-09 11:48:37

A colleague has been diagnosed with mumps, am I right in thinking that as I had mumps as a child I'm not at any risk of getting it again, and I can't pass it on to anyone else unless I actually have it at the time?

A couple of other colleagues are having a hoo haa and stressing about surface contamination, just wondering if I'm being too laid back about this?

MadreInglese Mon 29-Jun-09 13:42:20

bump...

MadreInglese Tue 30-Jun-09 11:40:07

anyone? smile

beautifulgirls Tue 30-Jun-09 13:11:55

I'm not totally certain but didn't want to leave you unanswered. I think once you have it you are likely to be immune for good yes, and so I guess you are minor risk for passing it on. If you do have concerns though perhaps you could call your GP clinic for some advice about things, if only so you can be smug in the office with any luck wink

MadreInglese Tue 30-Jun-09 14:04:18

thanks BG

FamilyDayOut Wed 01-Jul-09 12:34:48

You can't catch Mumps again, if you had it as a child! I had measles and mumps as a child and so did all my siblings (without complications!). The problem is, that the jabs don't protect you forever and you will have to have boosters. But some people got mumps / measles inspite of being vaccinated...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now