Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any medics - my dad has just (we think) had a TIA - what is the likely future/prognosis?

(7 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Sun 28-Jun-09 20:15:31

He's 77, a diabetic (late onset) and experienced what his GP thinks was a TIA on Tuesday. He was at lunch with my brother, when he said he he didn't feel well, had a headache and couldn't get his words out properly. They all thought that it was linked to his diabetes, and that he was just hungry/had low blood sugar. At the end of the lunch he insisted he was fine, and drove himself home.

Thankfully he went to the doctor's on Friday, and is being referred for tests.

I was with him on Friday/Saturday, and he seemed completely normal.

The doctor has put him on medication to deal with high blood pressure.

But what is the likely future? My only knowledge of this is based on other family members, where a series of TIA led to a massive stroke, and death.

howdoo Sun 28-Jun-09 21:56:48

My FIL had a TIA years ago, and he is diabetic, and he is still fine. Not sure exactly how long ago, but at least 7-8 years. He only had the one as far as I know.
So try not to worry!

madrush Sun 28-Jun-09 22:02:18

My FIL had a TIA 5 years ago at 75 and recovered very quickly to seem normal. He had another episode this year or maybe last, but when we got to the bottom of it he hadn't like the medication and decided to try without it. Since he's been taking them properly again he hasn't had repeats.

We see the TIA as a warning to him to look after himself better and to take the meds to reduce risk of full blown stroke.

Hope your dad remains well.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 28-Jun-09 23:14:37

Thank you both - that's immensely reassuring!

CJMommy Sun 28-Jun-09 23:22:32

My nan had a TIA and recovered well from it..................she did go on to have a stroke but that was 16 years later. She never had any episodes inbetween either.

Bleatblurt Sun 28-Jun-09 23:27:28

My mum has had a few TIA's (she has only just turned 50) and has recovered quickly each time.

harleyd Sun 28-Jun-09 23:29:25

hi biwi
my gran, also a diabetic had one at 75 and one a few years later...she's now 83 and still going strong
hope the tests go well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now