Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Good quality Omega3 supplements without mercury?

(27 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 19:59:31

Message withdrawn

pagwatch Sun 28-Jun-09 20:02:09

Nordic naturals are good. But not cheap. I don't know any that are good and cheap.

silverfrog Sun 28-Jun-09 20:14:51

second Nordic naturals, they are brilliant (and dh swears they don't even taste fishy. he is, of course a fool as imo they still taste rank, but my 2 beg to take them, so mayb it's me with the weird taste!)

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 20:21:00

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Sun 28-Jun-09 20:24:23

I get mine form here, but only because dd1's nutritionist recommneded, and I'm too lazy to find anywhere else.

very efficient - usually comes next dya in the post.

yes, need refrigersting - or so it says on the bottle.

we get the lemon flavour liquid.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 20:48:58

Message withdrawn

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 20:51:39

Eskimo are fantastic. They are one of the best fish oils I've come across and the 1st one I always recommend (I'm a nutritionist). The fish are from very clean/unpolluted artic seas and therefore very very good quality, especially with regards to toxin content.
In a study carried out by the Irish Food Safety Board (I think, cant 100% remember which body carried out study), Eskimo came out tops for quality/toxin levels. They were compared to all major alternative brands, mainstream brands, famous brands, cheapie brands.

They need to be refrigerated once opened.

If possible try to use the liquid, its only a small 5ml teaspoon per day.
Its not cheap, but if you compare it to lots of other brands where you need 1-3 tablespoons per day, its good value for money.

Its in good health shops and online (and possibly in chemists/supermarkets in UK?? no idea on that)

silverfrog Sun 28-Jun-09 20:52:20

dh doesn't take it regularly, just occasionally - I thik he originally took it because I mentioned I thought it tasted horrible

dd1 is 4.10 and dd2 is 2.4 and they both take it, and love it. No disguising needed, they just take it off a spoon (which really shock me, as i thought I'd have a bit of a fight getting it into them)

racmac Sun 28-Jun-09 20:52:30

http://www.health4youonline.com/healthsupplements_biocare_omegacare321225.htm

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 20:53:19

Forgot to add, kids should have the kids one until they are about 12 yrs old.
The tutti frutti one seems much more popular than the orange one.
My 2 have had it since they were about 9mths old.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 21:17:30

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 21:21:39

Message withdrawn

Sibble Sun 28-Jun-09 21:25:11

Another vote for nordic here for children. For adults we use Usana, direct mail from the States. Neither cheap though.

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 21:48:04

Starlight...I don't get the link between omega 6 and preservatives? But its been a long day and I'm probably missing something really obvious grin

The kids one is mostly omega 3 (I think 1200mg as opposed to 1500mg in the adult one). As far as I remember the small bit of 6 and 9 in it are to aid better absorption and utilisation of the om3.

I generally finds kids are reluctant to take the lemon one, but are ok with the taste of the kids one. Either will do at the end of the day though (although not literally "at the end of the day", its best to take them with breakfast as in some cases can keep you awake if taken at night!)

jkklpu Sun 28-Jun-09 21:50:44

How about eating more fish instead of popping pills? [not looking for a flaming, genuinely interested in the answer]

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 21:53:32

Message withdrawn

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 21:55:42

You would need to eat kilos of fresh fish per day to get the equivalent EPA/DHA in 1 teaspoon of high quality fish oil.
It would be possibly impossible to a)do this and b) to eat this amount of fish without having to worry about toxin levels.

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 21:58:59

Star, its possible he does get enough 6 (olive oil, sunflower oil, sunflower marg, sesame seeds, seedy bread etc)

In general we (UK and Ireland) are more lacking in 3 than 6.

9 times out of 10 I will suggest to go for whichever of the two your child will actually swallow without a fuss.

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 22:00:29

I can't believe I'm on this thread! I stopped myself posting on "work related" threads years ago grin

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 22:03:09

Message withdrawn

jkklpu Sun 28-Jun-09 22:05:16

And what are the proven health benefits of consuming these unnaturally [if impossible to imbibe through fish] high levels? I know that there's lots of talk about reducing cardiovascular problems, but I thought there was a lack of clarity over the real impact, while there are lots of pharmaceutical companies that are only too delighted to jump on the marketing bandwagon to persuade people to shell out lots of money for supplements that may not have a clear clinical benefit. Scientific studies on food are notoriously difficult to conduct effectively because you have to design them in such a way that the single substance is tested properly, in among all the other foodstuffs that participants are consuming all the time.

kitkatqueen Sun 28-Jun-09 22:08:28

Hiya, I was told that the pharmanord one is very tightly screened for mercury, you can order it by phone freepost - and freephone actually and it tastes nice.

Pharmanord 0800 591756

Its £11.70 for a big box

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 22:09:51

Star...sorry, no idea on that one!

jkklpu...re my earlier post I'm afraid I really don't like getting into these kinds of debates on MN, I need to use this time as a chance to unwind after work etc smile
I will add that I wouldn't give them to my kids if I hadn't thoroughly researched it and decided it fairly essential.

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 22:11:52

I'm not a huge fan of Pharmanord, in general I think they are overpriced in regards to their quality.

<<really should move over to a chat thread now grin >>

jkklpu Sun 28-Jun-09 22:12:43

Sorry, didn't know it was your work and understand that you don't want to go into it here. If you're able to point me towards an impartial (in terms of sponsorship) website in slower time, that would be great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now