Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have what sometimes feels like slightly excessive hair loss - what are possible causes?

(4 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Sun 28-Jun-09 10:07:55

The thing is that it's not at all noticeable because I have a LOT of hair. It's just that if I run my hands though it during the day, several hairs at a time will come out (I could probably remove thirty at a time if I just did this 2 or 3 times a day). And when I wash my hair far far more come out in my hands - hard to count of course but I'd say roughly 20 come out with every time I run my hands through it during a wash, which mounts up to quite a lot obviously if you count 2 shampoos, conditioning and several rinses. Oh, and then more still come out when I run 2 separate products through it...

This is a reasonably recent thing, probably only the last 2 or 3 years, though my hair was shorter before so I may just not have noticed it so much I suppose.

Are there thyroid causes? Hormonal? Or do I just have too much hair??? I'm having PCOS tests in a month or so, perhaps I should mention in to doc then, if any chance it's hormone related? Forgive my ignorance if it couldn't possibly be!!

GhostOfPsychomum5 Sun 28-Jun-09 10:11:18

I do this yearly..........tis like I shed lots of hair when it is warmer, like an animal actuallyhmm.

hormones make me lose hair too.......every single time I hit 9mths post baby, I lost loads of hair. luckily I too have thick hair so it is never noticable except to me (and the amount in the bath plug!)

cocolepew Sun 28-Jun-09 10:11:28

I would mention it to your GP if you are being tested at the moment, it could be hormonal or thyroid. My DD has been losing hers and it's due to hormonal changes.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 11:48:55

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now