Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know what this is..?

(8 Posts)
Helium Sat 27-Jun-09 20:22:54

Hello

I have a small swelling on my finger thats pinky-red. Its next to my nail (but not right next to it iyswim) and feels a bit hot and painful.

What is it and how do I get rid of it?!?!

IDidntRaiseAThief Sat 27-Jun-09 20:28:53

it's an infection. there is some cream you can put on it, can't think what's it's called, but its some sort of sulphate ( magnesium?) which will draw it out.

i had this once, just after having dd, and it was one of the only things my hv could giveme good advice about!

onegiantleap Sat 27-Jun-09 20:33:54

could be a whitlow, try googling

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Jun-09 20:36:36

If I was my mum, I would make you put your finger in a bowl of (very )hot water until you got fed up. Sometinmes this let the pus out, sometimes jsut relieved the swelling.

jetcat32 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:06:05

i had this once, and boy did it hurt!! It was an infection, and i ended up with antibiotics for a week.

The cream IDRAT is talking about is magnesium sulphate - a 'drawing out' paste. My pharmacist also recommends epsom salts if he doesnt have the paste, as that also contains the magnesium. I didnt try this with mine to be honest, as i didnt think of it blush

Hot salty water is also good.

Hope it gets sorted soon!

jkklpu Sat 27-Jun-09 22:09:29

If there's any chance it's related to the nail, eg an ingrowing nail or an infection caused by a little part of nail being torn, try soaking the finger in a mug of as hot waster as you can bear (without scalding) mixed with a bit of salt. If you do that for 5-10 mins, the skin will be less taut and sore and it might even draw out the pus if there's a hole. This can often prevent ingrowing toenails.

jetcat32 Sun 28-Jun-09 00:01:44

mine was caused by a little piece of the skin right next to my fingernail being torn, sounds similar to where yours is op?

I remember when i was pregnant, and had a really bad ingrown big toe nail, as they wouldnt remove it while i was pregnant - i seemed to spend 6 months with my foot in a dish of hot salty water!! Did the trick though, really reduced the infections!

Helium Sun 28-Jun-09 21:59:05

Thanks everyone - good news is today after swimming it started to weep - I gave it a little squeeze and out burst a load of greeny pus - VILE but very satisfying!!! (Seems like chlorine could be the answer in treating these things!!)
Just wanted to say thanks for your advice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now