Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Numbness on outer ear - any ideas why??

(5 Posts)
BigMomma3 Sat 27-Jun-09 14:24:03

This morning I have noticed the outer edge of my left ear is numb (the shell like part) and thought it rather bizarre. My hearing is not affected and I have not had earache or anything. It is higher up than the part where my ear is pierced so I doubt it is anything to do with that.

Could it be the way I slept although I have never had this before? Am a bit of a worrier so if anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated!!

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Sat 27-Jun-09 14:59:03

I'm willing to bet money you have slept on it! Not entirely sure i have much feeling there myself!

I suffer from health anxiety so i worry over anything, but i honestly think this is not suspicious. The outer part of the ear doesn't serve a purpose other than forming a reciever for the sound, its inside where you have all the nerves. Stop worrying.

BigMomma3 Sat 27-Jun-09 15:57:01

Thanks imay! I think that is probably it, keep on feeling it though and worrying - pita is'nt it!!

Rosieonline Sat 11-Jul-09 11:10:46

Did it clear up on its own? I woke up with the very same thing with my right helix. Went to the gp who thiught I might have an ear inf which is causing some swelling which may be pressing on a nerve. I am on anti bios. GP didn't think it was the sleep awkwardly thing. It feels most odd..and I am worried too....

BigMomma3 Sat 11-Jul-09 17:06:45

Rosie - my numbness has gone - lasted for about a week though. Still no idea why, had no pain or swelling to indicate an infection. Just put to it down to an anomaly and forgot about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now