Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Your kid's 1st bee sting, what happened?

(11 Posts)
merryberry Fri 26-Jun-09 21:54:56

My nearly 4 ds1 stood on a bee, though we didn't work this out till a couple of hours later. Twenty minutes later he fell asleep sitting in an uncomfy chair, while eating an apple. Was picked up and moved into his brother's buggy so he wouldn't topple over. Stayed asleep for about 80 minutes.

All highly unusual for him. Woke up and couldn't/wouldn't weight bear on his slightly red and slightly swollen foot for a few hours.

Would appreciate any stories of how your kid's did with their 1st and 2nd stings.

Tortoise Fri 26-Jun-09 21:58:07

Ouch, your poor DS1.
Unfortunatly (fortunatly?) none of mine have been stung yet. So i do worry about what reaction they may have.

Lilyloo Fri 26-Jun-09 21:59:32

My ds poked one with his finger when he was 2. Nothing eventful happened other than prolonged crying etc

SoupDragon Fri 26-Jun-09 22:01:45

Absolutely nothing.

A sting on the sole of the foot is very painful though (from experience!) and it does take a good while before you can walk on it. Worse than on a finger (which is what happened to DD last week)

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Jun-09 22:32:31

dd was stung on the foot a couple of years ago at a friends house. She reacts quite strongly to stuff so we piritoned her and sprayed on sting-ease stuff. After quarter of an hour she was fine.

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 26-Jun-09 23:30:32

I sat on a bee this week, and it stung me on my bottom. None of the dses have ever been stung by a bee, so they saw nothing wrong in laughing at my misfortune. So did my mum. And my MIL. And pretty much everyone else I told.

Go on - admit it - you laughed too!!!grin

morocco Fri 26-Jun-09 23:39:53

ds1 aged 2 came to me saying sadly 'bee bee' - he'd been stung was actually v cute

he got stung again today and screamed the house down for an ambulance! calmed down after 5 mins when he realised he wasn't going to keel over

merryberry Sat 27-Jun-09 07:05:35

ah you can buy over the counter stuff! cool. we just ice packed it. thanks everyone. anyone else had their child fall asleep from it?

Dontpanic Sat 27-Jun-09 13:34:50

never had bee sting for me, or any stings on DS...had 6 wasp stings over 2 wks while pregnant though, so hoping he's immune
Anyway, vinegar is a good alternative remedy for wasps, don't know if the same for bees, must neutralise the sting in some way.
Not good for head stings though, your hair stinks like a chippy for ages!

Montifer Sat 27-Jun-09 13:42:07

I think bee stings need an alkali to neutralise them. I recall chemistry teacher telling us "Bee-carbonate of soda and Vinegar for Vasps"!!

posieparker Sat 27-Jun-09 13:44:39

My dd (2.6) got stung on her finger, screamed and I pulled out the sting and venom straight away. Put sting cream on. Her finger swelled and went red, a little purple where sting went in, for an evening. the next day she was much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now