Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else's asthma playing up in this weather?

(14 Posts)
blondissimo Fri 26-Jun-09 13:37:50

Don't even really class myself as asthmatic any more and don't have an inhaler, but had it pretty bad as a child.
But in this, what I can only describe as stuffy, weather, I feel as if my cheast is being crushed by a vice!
Have just had to have a few puffs of ds' inhaler!

OhBling Fri 26-Jun-09 13:40:43

Is it hayfever related? DH's asthma kicks in when hay fever hits.

blondissimo Fri 26-Jun-09 13:44:04

Probably - I am an allergic freak! Have asthma, eczema, hay fever, dust allergy etc.
I do worry about my little ds - he can't talk yet and I wonder if he is feeling like mesad.

blondissimo Fri 26-Jun-09 13:45:00

By the way pedants, I meant to write chest blush.

OhBling Fri 26-Jun-09 13:47:09

Yeah, I don't even have children yet and I worry about that - DH is allergic to everything. So is my sister. Our poor children down the line are screwed. I keep telling DH I'm going to throw them into fields of flowers and dog baskets from an early age in an attempt to acclimatise them ... but then, I don't fully understand the discomfort as the extent of my allergies is itchy eyes and throat for about 3 weeks in summer! grin

blondissimo Fri 26-Jun-09 13:55:38

OhBling - at least they have a chance if you are ok - my dp also suffers very badly with hay fever and rhinitis. My ds doesn't stand a chance, poor little mite.

tiredsville Sat 27-Jun-09 17:28:49

Yes, my asthma doesn't seem very controllable atm even though I'm on the Symbicort.

Bubbaloo Sat 04-Jul-09 13:22:39

Dh is also having dreadful problems this weather.He was only diagnosed with asthma about a year ago,after having an attack in the car and nearly killing himself.
He caught a chest infection off the dc's a couple of weeks ago and ended up in hospital and only came out on Tuesday.Have a feeling he'll be going back in though,by next week,if it carries onsad

Elibean Sat 04-Jul-09 13:38:37

Yes, dh's asthma (which only started last September at the age of 48 shock) is usually only triggered by viruses. atm its up a bit anyway, even though he's on the steroid/brown inhaler daily.

Am worrying about swine flu in relation to asthma, but that would be another thread.

Elibean Sat 04-Jul-09 13:39:31

Bubbaloo, hope your dh feels better v soon and avoids more hospital - chest infection is what started my dh's asthma off in the first place. Is he on steroids of any sort?

Bubbaloo Sat 04-Jul-09 13:51:00

Thanks Elibean-hope your dh is ok too.
He's just finished a course of steroids(8 a day) and antibiotics and will continue with his Seretide and Sabutamol inhalers.He also takes a small other pill,everyday,just before bed.
It's also really awkward as he doesn't want them knowing at work,that he has asthma,so is hoping that when he see's his gp on monday(to get a sick note),that he can get away with telling them,he's only had a chest infectionwink.

Elibean Sat 04-Jul-09 14:20:09

Sounds very similar to dh's protocol post-infection. He usually ends up on oral steroids for 5 days or so each time he gets a cold now.

I don't know about daily pills, is that also a steroid? Sorry to pepper you with questions, am trying to learn and keep up wink

Hope your dh's sick note is job-friendly on Monday!

Bubbaloo Sat 04-Jul-09 14:31:03

The one he takes at night is called Singulair,which prevents narrowing of the airways.He's only been on it a short while,but is meant to be very beneficial to those who haven't got their asthma fully under control/stable.

Elibean Sat 04-Jul-09 15:07:48

Thanks Bubba, I've heard of that. Might suggest dh talks to his GP about it, too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now