Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there an over-the-counter pill to temporarily stop periods?

(8 Posts)
hav3plus3 Fri 26-Jun-09 00:13:48

My friend is going on holiday 4 four days and has heard of a pill that can be obtained over the counter. Does anyone know of it or better still has anyone used it?

PortAndLemon Fri 26-Jun-09 00:15:30

Does she take the Pill already? If you just take two packets back-to-back without a break that will let you skip a period.

Tinker Fri 26-Jun-09 00:16:19

You can get something from the GP if not on the pill.

hav3plus3 Fri 26-Jun-09 00:20:26

not on the pill... have heard bout these tablets that are over the counter... too late for 'the pill' as she going this thursday

Bonneville Fri 26-Jun-09 00:26:09

The tablets from the doctor are 'Norethisterone'.Used these a couple of times and dd and friends use them when going to festivals if needed. Didnt know you could get similar over the counter.

Bonneville Fri 26-Jun-09 00:28:36

Well I think theyre called 'norethisterone'. Would have to fish the box out to check.

hav3plus3 Fri 26-Jun-09 00:31:30

her friend has reliably told her that they're available over the counter from the chemist... i've not heard of them so thought i would ask you lot for any info. hmm

mrsmerryweather Fri 26-Jun-09 08:19:22

They are not available over the counter- they are a progesterone hormone and I take them as part of my HRT regime- you can only get them on prescription.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now