Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If someone has a 'heart murmur' are they still able to have a GA?

(15 Posts)
notnowbernard Thu 25-Jun-09 21:07:35

My mum needs an op but has just been told by GP she has a heart murmur

Will the anaesthetist and surgeon still go ahead and operate?

Many thanks

notnowbernard Thu 25-Jun-09 21:23:11

ANyone medical about?

AMumInScotland Thu 25-Jun-09 21:30:41

I think it would depend what they think the reason for the murmur is - my DS had one diagnosed when he was 3, and had various tests, then they decided it was "innocent" ie not caused by anything which would ever cause him any problem.

I believe people can still have those as adults, but it would be something she'd had all her life if so.

Unfortunately there are other reasons for murmuurs, which would mean her heart was abit weak and so would make them worry about the GA.

poshwellies Thu 25-Jun-09 22:44:19

I've got a innocent murmur and had had no issues with GA-infact I've had 6 op's under GA.No problems whatsoever.

Your mum should be giving some tests now her GP has picked on her murmur-I had a heart scan and ECG's to find the cause of mine but I said,it was innocent (mine was picked up during pregnancy)

poshwellies Thu 25-Jun-09 22:44:44

*as I said*

notnowbernard Fri 26-Jun-09 12:40:17

Thanks for the replies smile

The GP is going to refer her for further investigation re the murmur

She's just mega-stressed because she is having the op soon and is petrified they will cancel/postpone it

nellie12 Fri 26-Jun-09 12:56:00

Having worked in ITU I can assure you they operate on a lot worse. What they will do is all the usual pre op tests and then treat accordingly during the op. If they are investigating beforehand anyway she will probably be on medication by that time anyway. hope all goes well.

expatinscotland Fri 26-Jun-09 12:59:23

Usually, yes, they can have a GA. My dad's had GA and he's got pretty bad heart disease, has a stent, has hypertension.

It's not the best thing, and he has had ops that are normally performed under GA in the UK performed under regional block, but he has had it.

notnowbernard Fri 26-Jun-09 13:02:44

Thankyou again for replies smile

The op is next week, so little chance of getting it sorted before then. Pre-op nurse picked it up and GP confirmed it the next day. Thing is, my Mum is desperate to have the op on the planned date and not have it cancelled because she has breast cancer and it's to remove the lump and test surrounding lymph glands sad

expatinscotland Fri 26-Jun-09 13:05:02

really, as pointed out, they operate on people who were so close to dead they had to prove they could even be semi-stablised all the time.

in a patient like this, it's likely they'll be able to perform her operation and hopefully remove the tumour.

i'm sorry to read she's ill. sad

don't blame her for wanting to be operated on asap.

notnowbernard Fri 26-Jun-09 13:08:56

Thanks, Expat

I know they must operate on critically ill people all the time - like the examples you gave. And trauma patients about whom they have NO medical history etc

I think in my head my Mum knows this but she can't think rationally atm, as you can imagine. We are all cautiously optimistic (it's been caught early) but it does mess with your head a bit sad God knows how she must be feeling

Hope your Dad's health is ok

nellie12 Fri 26-Jun-09 13:11:15

dont worry. I would be surprised if they postponed that op. Also bear in mind that this is what pre op assessments are supposed to do - pick up any abnormalities. The anaesthetist can work with this and knows what he/she is dealing with. Depends what the murmur is you might find they can start medication pre op. I think your mum would be as well giving the breast care nurse or macmillan nurse, they may be able to put her mind at rest a bit more and save her the extra stress.

expatinscotland Fri 26-Jun-09 13:14:34

Thanks, notnow. He's had 2 heart attacks, angioplasty, triple bypass, etc but he still continues to smoke hmm. He's also had prostate cancer. But hey ho, he's 73 years old and I guess he figures he may as well enjoy what time he has left.

Your poor mum! But like nellie pointed out, the murmur was picked up early so there should be time to sort out the anaesthesia.

notnowbernard Fri 26-Jun-09 13:15:10

Thanks, Nellie

It is all stressful atm. Her clinical care has been good, but the clerical and admin side has been a shambles, lots of cock-ups that have left her chasing up her care etc angry

I told her to give the (lovely) breast care nurse assigned to her case a ring - she's off sick though

notnowbernard Fri 26-Jun-09 13:15:49

Meant to add, Nellie - thanks for your reassurance, it's helpful! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now