Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know about backache and mattresses?

(11 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 25-Jun-09 15:29:01

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Chat (cos it's only partly a health question!) but will try here...

Lately I keep waking up in the morning with an ache in my lower back. If I stay in bed, it aches when I lie on my back but is OK if I lie on my side. When I get up it usually wears off gradually, and then doesn't ache any more until the next morning.

Is this likely to be caused by our mattress? We have had it about 5 years and it was a relatively cheap one so might be getting saggy.

Also if it IS the mattress, is there anything I can do apart from buy a new one, or if we do get a new one, anything particular I should look for to avoid more aching?

Thank you!

cktwo Thu 25-Jun-09 21:15:24

Sounds like the mattress. It's always worth speanding quite a bit on the mattress. Our current one cost £300 and it's worth every penny. I spend 20-odd years on cheap mattresses and since we've had this one, I've realised how bad they are.
Bin it

Does sound like the mattress, I'd get a new one. Have you thought about a memory foam one? They support your back very well. I have back problems after breaking my back and numerous disc problems, etc. We got a Sealy Posture Perfect one last year and its very good.

anchovies Thu 25-Jun-09 21:25:38

I get exactly the same thing but I have a newish expensive bed/mattress! Have you had a baby recently? I found I had a really bad bit with my bed while my ligaments were still soft. No problems at the moment but I've no idea why, haven't changed anything but sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's agony!

Mutt Thu 25-Jun-09 21:32:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsmerryweather Fri 26-Jun-09 08:22:06

Buy a better mattress- John Lweis sale starts midnight tonight.

We replaced our mattress of 20 years with one costing almost £800 but it;s great- and if it lasts for another 20 yrs it's not expensive.

rosie39forever Fri 26-Jun-09 09:15:58

I spent £800 on a memory foam one and it made my back worse! so sold it and got a firm orthopeadic one for half the price an no back pain.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Fri 26-Jun-09 10:09:45

thats the thing rosie, we need a new mattress, our budget wont stretch to £800 thats for sure.

Maybe the key is to buy an OK mattress, probably firm then invest in a memory foam mattress topper?

cktwo Fri 26-Jun-09 18:39:41

Spend as much as you can on the mattress. We didn't spend anything like £800 and ours is 4 years old now and is still like new with no back problems.

FairLadyRantALot Fri 26-Jun-09 19:15:22

I agree with previous poster, get the best mattress you can, and with mattresses it is often the more expensive ones....
I found since we ave our new mattress which is very firm I don't wake up with an aching back anymore...

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Fri 26-Jun-09 23:00:13

Right that's it, sounds like I need to go shopping! Thanks for the advice, I will check out the sales and try some out.

Anchovies - baby is 18 months now but my back is getting worse not better, so I don't think it's that. I do sometimes wonder whether my huuuge bump back then was what made the mattress go saggy though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now