Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tight feeling in calf

(36 Posts)
jetcat32 Wed 24-Jun-09 21:41:35

i have convinced myself it is a blood clot, as i am --a lot-- a little overweight an know that that is a contributing factor.

I have had it for a couple of days now, really uncomfortable - i thought it was cramp at first, but now it is really feeling tight and very painful!

I have just taken some profen, but that hasnt seemed to have made a difference. The only time is stops hurting as much is if i curl my leg round under me IYSWIM, but even then, the pain comes back.

Not really sure of what info i need to post, but does anyone know of anything that will help?

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Jun-09 21:46:23

Can you find a tape measure and measure each calf, at the same place, to see if one is bigger?

Are you:

pregnant
on the pill
a smoker
been on a longish journey recently

Do you have a family history of blood clots?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, you need to get medical advice asap - whether that is the out of hours service, walk in, NHS direct or A&E.

But think carefully - could you have strained or pulled a muscle? Worn an ill fitting pair of shoes that you had to curl your toes to keep on?

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Jun-09 21:48:29

Other signs to look for:

redness
swollen visible veins on the affected leg
swelling of the foot and ankle (puffyness) on the affected leg.

jetcat32 Wed 24-Jun-09 21:51:16

thanks 3...

it is about 1cm bigger - but that could be --my size-- normal??

not pregnant, not on pill, non-smoker, no long journeys. No idea of family history as childhood in care.

No different shoes to normal. I think i am nervous of phoning NHS direct or out of hours in case it is just a strained muscle - will look like such an idiot!

jetcat32 Wed 24-Jun-09 21:55:13

no redness or veins. A little pins and needles type feeling, but am guessing thats as s result of continually having to sit with leg curled round.

Just put foot flat on floor, and it feels like i need to flex my foot/ankle - but that actually doesnt do anything IYSWIM

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Jun-09 22:14:55

The difference in size may be significant. However, apart from pain, there aren't any other signs.

options:

- call nhs direct

or

Take a couple of aspirin, elevate the legs and see doctor urgently first thing tomorrow

or

walk in or A&E tonight

If it was me, I would do the aspirin and see doc first thing - unless I developed any other signs/symptoms as described.

BUT - I can't see you, or your leg, so maybe calling NHS direct will help you make the decision.

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Jun-09 22:15:58

(Aspirin stops the platelets sticking together and making any existing clot bigger).

jetcat32 Thu 25-Jun-09 07:20:47

thanks 3, sorry - DD2 woke last night and wouldnt settle. Still really painful so will call GP this morning.

Many thanks

3littlefrogs Thu 25-Jun-09 17:14:16

How are you today?

jetcat32 Thu 25-Jun-09 21:26:28

still really sore! couldnt get into docs this morning - will try again tomorrow. I am just feeling very sorry for myself! DD2 - 2 keeps rubbing my leg and saying "aww, dont worry darlin..."

I took your advice though and took some aspirin, and been measuring my legs all day lol! I am seriously thinking of phoning NHS direct now though, as it is worse when i am lying flat, and cant go through another night like last night! I am anxious if they suggest hospital though, as got DD1 and DD2 in bed - with no-one to call on to watch them for me!

jetcat32 Thu 25-Jun-09 21:28:53

rang NHS - they are only dealing with urgent cases. I dont think this is hmm

My GP out of hours doesnt make house calls - they send you to a out of hours centre, which again, is really difficult due to childcare!

3littlefrogs Thu 25-Jun-09 21:48:00

You poor thing - how old are your dc?

If it is still really sore, you must see a doctor tomorrow - do you have a walk in centre?

Do you have to get the dc anywhere in the morning? A&E is often pretty quiet before 8 o clock - at least the one where I work is.

Where abouts are you?

jetcat32 Thu 25-Jun-09 21:52:46

DD1 is 12, DD2 is 2. We have a walk in centre somewhere - the place i thought it was which is where we went when DD1 collapsed is only for registered patients!

Am in teeside, DD2 at nursery tomorrow, so if it still bad, i think i am going to have to go. I thought it would have gone by now it it was a strained muscle IYSWIM, but it seems to be getting worse not better!

And thanks so much for listening to me whinge - think DDs are fed up of listening to me and watching me hobble about sad

3littlefrogs Thu 25-Jun-09 21:57:58

Can you try and establish where the WIC is, and as soon as you drop dd at nursery, go along and get someone to look? Failing that could you get an urgent appt at GP if you phone first thing?

Sorry I am nowhere near teeside, so can't offer any advice re locations!

jetcat32 Thu 25-Jun-09 22:03:16

here's hoping 3lf. Will have to see someone!!

3littlefrogs Fri 26-Jun-09 15:59:01

How are you today?

jetcat32 Fri 26-Jun-09 18:18:28

well......

I got to see GP this morning, who rushed me straight off to hospital! shock

I was admitted to Emergency Assessment Unit, and by this time i had very reduced feeling in my foot. Cue a lot of blood tests and a scan - blood test was normal thank goodness, so i have been allowed home on meds. Got to go back and see GP on Monday for follow up.

Thanks so much for the push to go! I was really scared sitting in the hospital, and imagining all kinds of things. It was a nightmare trying to sort kids out in case i was going to be kept in - so i think now i will have to come up with some kind of plan in case it happens again.

And obviously a big push to lose some weight, as that should help to avoid problems in the future!

3littlefrogs Fri 26-Jun-09 18:26:02

Worth going then. Hope it all works out ok. Hope you manage to get some sort of emergency contingency plans in place. It is really hard when you don't have any family or anyone to help.

jetcat32 Fri 26-Jun-09 18:32:18

defo 3littlefrogs! Was in all day, and they said that it could have been a lot worse if i had left it!

My sister is my only family, and she lives up in scotland, so although she would be willing to come down if necessary, it would still take 7 hours!

But, my friend really helped me out today picking eldest up from school, and little one up from nursery. Thank goodness it is Friday, as today is the only day DD2 goes to nursery lol!n

3littlefrogs Fri 26-Jun-09 18:38:57

Thank goodness you went when you did! I was quite concerned TBH. It is always difficult to know whether to be restrained and calm whilst encouraging someone to go to doc's, or to jump up and down going OMG go to A&E now!!!

I am very glad you came back to update. I hate it when people don't do that, and you don't know if they are ok or not.

did they think it was a clot?

jetcat32 Fri 26-Jun-09 20:01:41

i got that you were a little concerned - it made me a little less anxious about feeling like i was wasting the docs time for cramp or something!

Yes, they thought it was a clot, though my bloods came back ok (didnt really understand all the doc speak though, as dosed up on painkillers by nowblush

I had to stay in all day, and was then allowed home with some meds and a stocking bandage. Got to go back to GP on Monday, or back to hospital over weekend if it gets worse.

Are you a medical type person 3lf, as you seem very knowledgable smile

3littlefrogs Fri 26-Jun-09 20:20:45

I am a nurse - but blood clots are my area of expertise I suppose.

jetcat32 Sat 27-Jun-09 10:26:34

ahhhh, well thanks for not telling me before then - i would have well freaked out!! grin

jetcat32 Sat 27-Jun-09 20:09:04

sorry, me again blush

it is still really painful! I am taking the max tramadol i can, plus paracetamol, but i am still in a lot of pain.

I have no idea what is causing the pain, now i know it is not a clot. Calf doesnt feel as tight and hard as it did yesterday, but still an awful cramp like feeling.

Is there anything i should be doing to help reduce the pain? Am i right in elevating leg if it isnt a clot? Keep the tube bandage on??

3littlefrogs Sat 27-Jun-09 23:42:06

Just come in - sorry. Elevate the leg, keep thebandage on, as long as it is not too tight. If you feel it is too tight, it would be better to remove it.

Is there any numbness/dicolouration in your foot/toes?

Can you contact the hospital where you were treated?

TBH, if it is worse, you should go back to hospital - but I know that is difficult at this time of night, if you have no-one to look after dcs.

Is there anyone you can call?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now