Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Life insurance - where to start??

(5 Posts)
monkeytrousers Wed 24-Jun-09 21:37:14

Never done this before as been in total denial of the aging process.

Want life + critical illness cover, not morgage as not on the morgage.

Say 25 years.

Whats a ball park figure?

zeke Wed 24-Jun-09 22:27:51

My husband and I are both insured for £250K each costing around £30/mth each I think.

In addition I have Life and terminal illness cover of 2K/mth costing around £15/mth. We don't need this on DH as with work protection etc I will have an income of about 2K/mth too if DH dies, maybe more. I would also get a fairly hefty death in service payout if DH died.

Basically, we have worked it so that we would have no mortgage, and a good amount of capital + monthly income so that we could afford not to work/work part-time if we needed to.

stubbyfingers Wed 24-Jun-09 22:31:02

Its very much dependent on your profession and health history. We use a financial advisor who finds the best deal and knows what to look for in a policy. He is then paid by whichever company we go with. Same for house insurance and mortgage.

monkeytrousers Thu 25-Jun-09 07:36:51

Why do you have two Zeke?

zeke Thu 25-Jun-09 23:04:04

We have two because it is important to us to have both an income and capital. If the worst happened we would want the reassurance of not having to worry about money at all, especially when our son is still young.
The 2k/mth one for my husband if I die is the most recent addition, which would enable to him to work part-time/not work to provide stability for our son during a difficult time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now