Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low level cold that wont feck off- how to make it go away?

(6 Posts)
dizietsma Tue 23-Jun-09 11:10:24

I've been feeling a bit under the weather for about 3 weeks now. Started with a bit of random sudden onset dizziness, but has now settled into a bit of a cough, a little bit stuffed up, a little bit phlegmy, a little bit sneezy, a little tired.

I'm going away in a week and I don't want to still be sick like this, what are the best ways to get rid of a persistent cold? Vitamin C?

Buda Tue 23-Jun-09 11:11:41

Could it be allergies/hay fever?

Winetimeisfinetime Tue 23-Jun-09 11:15:35

Could it be hayfever rather than a cold as it has gone on for so long ?

For colds I use things like Redoxon vitamin C, zinc, echinacea , Sambucol. Not sure if they do any good but generally we seem to get over colds quite quickly. Sambucol in particular is meant to have a scientifically tested anti-viral action and is now available in our local Tesco.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 23-Jun-09 11:20:43

I always have hot water, honey, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a paracetamol - much cheaper (and IME more effective) than the over-the-counter so-called remedies out there.
My sister swears by her flu-fighter juice (you'll need a juicer!). juice together half a lemon, half a lime, half a grapefruit and half a pineapple. She has this when she first feels the cold coming on and it NEVER lasts more than a day or two.

dizietsma Tue 23-Jun-09 17:33:57

"Could it be hayfever rather than a cold as it has gone on for so long ?"

I dunno... my dad has hayfever so I've got the gene for it, does it develop in adulthood? Also, would it give me a phlegmy chest? I thought hayfever was mostly nasal. Never heard of Sambucol, but I love elderberries so I'll check that out. Echinacea seems to have a limited effect on me.

CarGirl Tue 23-Jun-09 17:38:58

My first thought was allergies too.

Yes it can give you a bit of a yucky chest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now