Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

WHAT is it when your arms and legs keep you awake because it feels like a monster is trying to push out of them?

(24 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:06:41

I get this all the fucking time and it goddamn pisses me off. I havent slept in ages and I fucking want to go to sleep but it feels like there is this huge pressure going outwards on my limbs. My legs & arms ache and are so uncomfortable I cant settle and relax even though I have taken a sleeping pill and 2 cocodomals. WTF is it and how can I fix it?????

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 23:07:49

does it start in your chest?

i have insomnia, but it's panic attacks and anxiety that usually keep me awake.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 23:09:18

Hmm. Have you thought of going to see a chiropractor?

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:10:25

it isnt really in my chest no. It is horrible though. It makes me feel like screaming in frustration and also very panic attack feeling, like being trapped somewhere. I am really upset about it tonight because I need sleep so badly.

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:11:01

no I havent thought of a chiropractor actually!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 23:12:22

Sounds like a muscular thing. Maybe a chiropractor can help?? Worth a try.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 22-Jun-09 23:12:53

That sounds annoying.

You're not sleeping through those drugs??? And presumably you've done all the usual relaxing bath, no coffee, no alcohol etc stuff.

Are you talking to the GP about it?

PrettyCandles Mon 22-Jun-09 23:14:06

Restleg Leg Syndrome, very severe case of?

BitOfFun Mon 22-Jun-09 23:14:58

It's called Restless Leg Syndrome I think- I get it sometimes. Try googling it for some advice? I can't link from my phone I'm afraid, but it sounds like it to me.

TrinityRhino Mon 22-Jun-09 23:14:58

I think I know what you mean and I get it in my calfs/shin area

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 22-Jun-09 23:15:02

OK, this might sound stupid, but indegestion? I've been known to get that an dconfuse it with a panic attack.

I said it sounded stupid.

Insomnia's evil. I wish i could sort it.

brimfull Mon 22-Jun-09 23:15:52

restless leg syndrome I get this sometimes-it's awful

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 22-Jun-09 23:16:08

x posts with Restless Leg Syndrome. No idea what that is but sounds proper reason for insomnia, unlike indigestion.

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:18:23

oh thank you. I'm reading about restless leg syndrome now. I thought it was something you could only get while you were pregnant blush I have always had this off and on my whole life but I was born with a non-visible bone deformity so put it down to that but now I have seriously had enough. I am so angry right now over the decrepit state of my body I just want some sleep. I could have slept last night but DS was up all night, now he is asleep in my bed and I am in the living room because I am about to go mad lying there with this feeling. Am very angry and and did I say angry?

PrettyCandles Mon 22-Jun-09 23:19:15

RLS can be symptom of anaemia, or IIRC of excessive intake of one of the B vitamins.

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:19:50

MaryMotherof dont downplay your suggestion indigestion can be a bitch and people have thought they were having heart attacks from it.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 22-Jun-09 23:20:34

That's true.

CKelpie Mon 22-Jun-09 23:21:28

I get sciatica every so often that goes into my arms as well as down my legs.

It's fairly hard to ignore.

If you take a knuckle and (really scientifically) grind it into the base of your spine where one of those dimples are, does it hurt like hell but ease the pain in your arms and legs?

Sorry, not very helpful.

Hope you get some sleep soon.

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:21:58

I am a body disaster. I was even thinking of posting on disabled parents because it so affect my life. I have excrutiatingly terrible migraines, this, and various other stuff of equal pleasure hmm I just hate it. I so envy those who arent in pain all the time.

Sorry I am feeling really sorry for myself atm.

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jun-09 23:23:56

I've had acid reflux so bad it woke me up, Mary, and I'm the type who has a hard enough time getting off to sleep in the first place.

Then you can't go back to sleep for gagging on your own stomach acid anytime you lean even slightly backwards until the medication kicks in.

So believe you me, 'indigestion' is well a reason for insomnia, especially if you're pregnant and can't take much and you just know you're going to wake choking on your own acid.

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:24:56

snort

I just read that the sleeping pill I take can aggravate RLS. Handy that, isnt it!

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:25:48

oh and prozac too, which I take!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 22-Jun-09 23:26:04

The moment I read your post I thought of restless leg syndrome. I have only had it during pregnancy, and it was a truly horrible thing to have.
You sound like you are in real distress. Is your GP sympathetic at all?

hereidrawtheline Mon 22-Jun-09 23:27:58

I havent brought it up to my GP. I am a GP-phobic person in general. I have to go to see him soon anyway because I also have some strange gyno problem. (please please no one think I am making all this up!) but I bleed a little bit all throughout the month in addition to a period. Surely that cant be right. And I get a recurring soft tissue infection. LOL I'm a right old charmer arent I!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now