Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

stopping smoking EEKKKKKKKKKK

(16 Posts)
TwoAngels Fri 13-May-05 15:35:27

well have finally and unbilabily decided to go for it and give the fags up starting after GP appointment monday coming and to be quite frank I'm S**ting my self....

I have smoked since I was 14 and am now a Extreme heavy smoker of around 40 a day.

I have never tried to quit before as I was quite immature and thought "oh I enjoy it and am gonna die someday, so whats the point" but something has come over me this week such as cost, health and I want to try at least to try reduce the chances of my DD's starting when they are older.

so what I was wondering is if someone who has successfully quit after being a heavy smoker I would really love to chat and find out how u found it giving up

T I A

TwoAngels Fri 13-May-05 15:36:47

unbilabily = unbelivebly (sp?) oh i give up

beansmum Fri 13-May-05 15:41:35

I smoked 30-40 a day until I found out I was pg. Maybe you should have another baby, then it'll be easy to stop!

Seriously though, if I was you I would stop NOW. Why wait until monday? Just chuck away all your lighters and fags and tell yourself that that is it. I found the first week after I stopped the hardest, I used to reward myself, every time I went to a shop and didn't buy cigarettes I would buy a magazine or a book instead, that might help.

Kelly1978 Fri 13-May-05 15:52:34

I smoked 25-30 a day. I couldn't give up while pg neither . I actually gave up inbetween my secodn and third pgs. The first week is def the hardest, and then onc the third week is passed it gets a lot easier.

I had triedseveral tiems before and the difference that tiem was havign a really supportive bf who I could call int he middle of the ngiht when I was desp for a fag and would tell me/nag me until I was thru it. Plus I used lollipops to suck adn have somethign to do with my hands. Also, I stopped on dd and ds bday, so i was distracted and that helped get thru the first day quite easily. Lastly I told myself I wasn't never ever going to ahve another one, I actually had the odd one. My actual last cigarette was over a year after I actually 'stopped', tho since 'stopping' I only had abt 20. It's noe ben enarly a year since I've had one at all. I don't think that last tip works for every1, but i found it easier to deal with than trying to never ever smoke again, as I did enjoy it at the time.

Good luck, set a date and go for it! I did put on a little weight, but I feel so much healtyhier and richer for not smokign, it really is one of the better things Ive ever done.

Please excuse typos - too much to check!

TwoAngels Fri 13-May-05 16:15:06

ty for ur replies

beansmum I really like ur suggestion but I am so not that brave I feel that really I should have the patches the inhaler and probs about 5 mths supply of cyban te he (just playing) no but really I think I will feel alot more confident with the support of nicotine aids

Kelly Well done u for kicking the habit!!

I ain't to worried bout weight gain as have trouble with my appertite lately and am bit underweight so if I do get the munchies this may also be another good reason to stop hmmmm.

kelly u said bout u having the odd one... this is what i'm afraid of, that if I ever entertain having another one when I stop I will start again...

saffy202 Fri 13-May-05 16:40:20

I was a smoker - smoked about 25-30 cigs - the amount seemed to be going up and up - used to moan about having no money when it got to the end of the month. Smoked whilst pg thou I did drastically cut down to a couple a day

Although I loved it I used to worry myself I would get a smoked related illness.

I had tried half-heartedly in the past to stop - had the patches but just took them off, lit up and then stuck them on again

Last New Year I tried again very half-heartedly but using the lozenges. Am pleased to say I am still going strong! I attended the smoking cessation one-to-one with the nurse. I alsp put the money I would spend on the cigs in a jar each week and then treat myself or later on the kids with my 'non-smoking money'.

I think you have to find what works for you - I took one day at a time, and although it was hard it wasn't as hard as I had imagined. For me the lozenges took away the craving in my mouth.

I am now supposed to be off the lozenges but I am still trying to wean myself off them but the nurse said they were a lot better than the ciggies

saffy202 Fri 13-May-05 16:42:27

Oh also I was and still am slightly underweight and have put on about about 2lbs despite my new addiction being carte d'or icecream!

Seriously thou it's a cliche but if I can stop anyone can

charliecat Fri 13-May-05 16:43:42

Hello! Cant stop now but theres a load of us in various stages of quitting here and your more than welcome to join us!
One of us (mummylonglegs) is stopping on Monday so maybe you two could prop each other up?
What a great choice to make though

Kelly1978 Fri 13-May-05 16:46:14

A lot of ppl can't stop at one. But the thing to remeber is that it u do lapse and have one (or more), it doesn't mean that you have failed. You have to remember that you have doen well to miss out x amount of ciggies and carry straight on - not stop quitting and decide to try again Monday or whatever. A mate told me this and it really helped to bear that in mind.
Nicotine replcement therapy helps a lot of ppl, tho I have to admit that it didn't work for me. I tried the partches, but they are so expensive it meant I didnt get an immediate financial incentive to quit. So I stopped buying hte patches and lo and behold started smokign again!! I also tried the inhalor - and that thing is so vile. I wanted a fag to take the taste away. I also tried zyban and when you take it you take it whilst still smoking to start with. I found it really reduced my cravigs and seemed great at first. Unfortunately tho it made me really emotional - like bad PMT so I had to stop it. Stoppign smokign produces PMT like feelings as it is without drugs excabatign it!!
I think really you jsut ahve to keep trying everything until you find something that works. I know a couple who had hynotherapy, he said he couldn't wait to get out for a ciggie. She actually gave up for 5 mnths immediately after the session.

TwoAngels Fri 13-May-05 17:13:39

saffy202 am gonna definetly do the money in a jar too oooh £12 a day bl**dy nora am gonna be loaded soon YEY (touch wood)

CC will be along soon to the other thread I did notice it straight after I posted this thankinu

Kelly god help DP then as he already gets the harsh end of my tounge once a month due to PMT Bless him

flum Fri 13-May-05 17:14:29

If you have any bother go to an Alan Carr - Easy Way course.

I found it a doddle after about 16 other aborted attempts.

TwoAngels Fri 13-May-05 17:22:23

ta flum am looking at the website now

charliecat Fri 13-May-05 17:24:46

www.whyquit.com too

TwoAngels Fri 13-May-05 18:49:51

ooooh CC thats a good site have saved to my favorites ta hun

flum Mon 16-May-05 13:15:07

try www.quitline.com too, thats good

almost40 Mon 16-May-05 13:34:23

TwoAngels, join us on the other thread. We will help you through - as Kelly said, the first few weeks are the hardest, and then after that, you must keep reminding yourself of how far you've come. Charliecat has lots of good info and is helping us all. See you on the other thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now